Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Splitting Fields: Anderson and Feil, Theorem 45.6 ...

1. Jun 23, 2017 #1
    I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 45: The Splitting Field ... ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 45.6 ...

Theorem 45.6 and its proof read as follows:

?temp_hash=e4d3c679eb07bb16c3e25a7846ea7af0.png

At the start of the proof of Theorem 45.6 we read the following:

"Suppose that ##K## is a normal extension of ##F##, a field with characteristic zero. Then by Theorem 45.5, ##K = F( \alpha )##, where ##\alpha## is algebraic over ##F##. ... .. "

Can someone please explain exactly how ##K = F( \alpha )## follows in the above statement ... ?

The quote mentions Anderson and Feil's Theorem 45.5 and also mentions that K is a normal extension so I am providing the statement of Theorem 45.5 and Anderson and Feil's definition of a normal extension as follows ... ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Gather what you have: ##F \subseteq K## a finite extension. This means ##\dim_FK =: n < \infty##.
    Now what does that mean for ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^n\}\,##, if we take an arbitrary element ##a \in K\,##?
    Can you deduce from that, that the conditions for Theorem 45.5 are met?
    And what does ##F \subseteq K## simple algebraic extension mean?

4. Jun 24, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the advice to "Gather what you have: ... "...

I was myopically focused on the first sentence of the proof where we are given

(i) ##K## is a normal extension of ##F##
    (ii) ##F## is a field with characteristic zero

and was wondering about how to get from this to the initial conditions of Theorem 45.5 that

(i) ##F## is a field with characteristic zero
    (ii) ##K## was a finite algebraic extension of ##F##

BUT ... in my tunnel vision I neglected that ##K## was given as a finite extension ... sorry for such a simple oversight ...

... HOWEVER ... still concerned that we need to establish that ##K## is algebraic over ##F## ... that is all elements of ##K## are algebraic over ##F## ... before applying Theorem 45..5 ...

Peter

5. Jun 24, 2017 #4

fresh_42

That's why I wrote - with ##n## being the dimesion of ##K## over ##F##
    How many elements has this set? Can they be linear independent, and if not, what does that mean?

6. Jun 24, 2017 #5

Just to answer your questions ...

You write:

"Now what does that mean for ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^n \},##, if we take an arbitrary element ##a \in K\,##?"

It means that ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^{n - 1} \} ,## is a basis for the vector space ##K## over ##F## ... and that ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^n \},## is a linearly dependent set ... ... is that correct?

You write:

"Can you deduce from that, that the conditions for Theorem 45.5 are met?"

... regarding conditions for Theorem 45.5 to be met ... see my previous post ...

You write:

"And what does ##F \subseteq K## simple algebraic extension mean?""

Means that ##K## is of the form ##K = F( \alpha )## ...

Peter

7. Jun 24, 2017 #6

As mentioned in the previous post the set is linearly dependent ... so this means that any element of the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others ...

Peter

8. Jun 24, 2017 #7

fresh_42

I don't know. I don't care either. This would exclude e.g. all ##a \in F \subseteq K## without reason.

It means the set ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^{n}\}## is linear dependent - in any case. Linear dependency means, we have a non trivial expression of zero: ##0 = c_0\cdot 1 + c_1\cdot a + c_2\cdot a^2 + \ldots + c_n\cdot a^n## with not all ##F \ni c_i=0##. If we define ##p(x)=c_0\cdot 1 + c_1\cdot x + c_2\cdot x^2 + \ldots + c_n\cdot x^n## we get a polynomial in ##F[x]## with ##p(a)=0## and ##a## is algebraic.

##K=F(\alpha)## for a certain ##\alpha \in K## is the result of theorem 45.5.

9. Jun 24, 2017 #8
    Thanks for all your help fresh_42 ...

Gradually building a basic understanding of Galois theory, thanks to your support ...

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted