Units in Z_m .... Anderson and Feil, Theorem 8.6 .... ....

In summary, Units in Z_m are numbers in the range of 0 to m-1 that have a multiplicative inverse. Anderson and Feil are mathematicians who have contributed to the study of abstract algebra, and Theorem 8.6, found in their book "An Introduction to Abstract Algebra with Notes to the Future Teacher", states that the number of units in Z_m is equal to phi(m), or the number of positive integers less than m that are relatively prime to m. Phi(m), also known as Euler's totient function, is used in Theorem 8.6 to determine the number of units in Z_m. This theorem is important in abstract algebra as it helps in understanding the properties and structure of the multip
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 8: Integral Domains and Fields ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 8.6 ...

Theorem 8.6 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=4cad108bde00c38f1acae6d92c8cf1dc.png

In the above text, Anderson and Feil write the following:

" ... ... Conversely, if ##gcd(x,m) = d## and ##d \neq 1##, then ##m = rd## and ##x = sd##, where ##r## and ##s## are integers with ##m \gt r, s \gt 1##. ... ... "I cannot see exactly why/how ##m \gt r, s \gt 1## ... can someone help me to prove that ##m \gt r## and ##s \gt 1## ... ... ?
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Anderson and Feil - Theorem 8.6  ... ....png
    Anderson and Feil - Theorem 8.6 ... ....png
    26.9 KB · Views: 692
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you should note that the author doesn't mean to write $m>r$ and $s>1$. What he means is that $m>r>1$ and $m>s>1$.

Now, there is nothing fancy going on here. If $d=\gcd(x,m)$, then $d$ divides both $x$ and $m$, so we can write $m=rd$ and $x=sd$ for some integers $r,s$. Now, since we're assuming $d\neq1$, i.e. $d>1$, then we must have $r<m$ because if $r\ge m$, then we'd have $m=rd\ge md>m$, which is a contradiction. Similarly, $s<x$, and $x<m$ by assumption so $s<m$.

Now actually, I believe there is a typo here from the author. You don't necessarily need $s>1$, you could have $s=1$. Note the fact that $s>1$ isn't actually used in the rest of the proof, so it doesn't matter.

Edit: sorry for the poor formatting, this is my first time using this forum to answer a math question and I assumed it would use TeX commands.

Likes Math Amateur
mathers101 said:
Edit: sorry for the poor formatting, this is my first time using this forum to answer a math question and I assumed it would use TeX commands.
It does, but the syntax varies a bit from editor to editor. Here you have to use [itex][\itex] or double # # for inline tex and [tex][\tex] or double $ $ for single line tex. See https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Thanks mathers101 ... just worked through what you have said ...

Your argument is VERY clear and helpful ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

Hi mathers101 ...

Just realized that I am unsure of where m > r > 1 is used in the rest of the proof ...

Can you help with this matter ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Hi mathers101 ...

Just realized that I am unsure of where m > r > 1 is used in the rest of the proof ...

Can you help with this matter ...

Peter
r > 1 is again not used at all, and r < m tells you that [r] is a nonzero element of Z_m, so since [x][r] = 0, we see [x] is a zero divisor.

Likes Math Amateur

1. What are Units in Z_m?

Units in Z_m, also known as the multiplicative group of integers modulo m, are the set of numbers in the range of 0 to m-1 that have a multiplicative inverse. This means that each number in this set has another number that, when multiplied together, equals 1 (mod m).

2. Who are Anderson and Feil?

Anderson and Feil are mathematicians who have contributed to the study of abstract algebra, specifically in the field of number theory. They have published various papers and books, including "An Introduction to Abstract Algebra with Notes to the Future Teacher" where Theorem 8.6 is found.

3. What is Theorem 8.6?

Theorem 8.6 is a theorem that states the number of units in Z_m, also known as the order of the multiplicative group of integers modulo m, is equal to the number of positive integers less than m that are relatively prime to m. This can be written as: |U(Z_m)| = phi(m).

4. What is phi(m)?

Phi(m), also known as Euler's totient function, is a number theory function that counts the number of positive integers less than m that are relatively prime to m. This function is used in Theorem 8.6 to determine the number of units in Z_m.

5. How is Theorem 8.6 used in abstract algebra?

Theorem 8.6 is used in abstract algebra to study the properties of units in a group. This theorem helps in determining the number of units in Z_m, which is important in various applications, such as cryptography and number theory. It also helps in understanding the structure of the multiplicative group of integers modulo m and its properties.