1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units of Coulomb, trouble understanding the question

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two charges, q1 = 4.9 e C and q2 = -3.6 e C are located 105nm apart, what is the size of the force between the two charges?

2. Relevant equations

F=kqq/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I did it according to the formula and I got the answer wrong, so I checked it using an online force calculator between charges, and it gave the same answer I initially got. I looked up what e C is, thinking maybe it's indicating something smaller than 1 C, and couldn't really find a graduation for that, what am I doing wrong? Is it meant to be multiplied by 1.6 x 10^-19?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    Actually [itex]q_1 = 4.9 e C[/itex] is somewhat incorrect. [itex]e = 1.6\times10^{-19}C[/itex] is the elementary charge and already contain the unit Coulomb. So it is as if [itex]q_1[/itex] has unit Coulomb-Coulomb.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    So does this mean that I have to multiply 4.9 by 1.6x10^-19?

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4
    Nvm, problem(s) solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook