1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Gravitation and neutron stars

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Certain neutron stars (extremely dense stars) are believed to be rotating at about 6 rev/s. If such a star has a radius of 15 km, what must be its minimum mass so that material on its surface remains in place during the rapid rotation?

G=6.67*10-11m3 kg-1 s-2
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F_c{}=\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/tex]
    [tex]F_g{}=\frac{GM_1{M_2{}}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    30[tex]\pi[/tex]km*6rev/s=180[tex]\pi[/tex]km/s
    which gives the linear velocity of something on the surface of the neutron star.... but I'm clueless as to how to arrive at a mass of the star from it. I could the Centripetal acceleration but I'm not sure how that's related here. the only thing I can think of there is setting the centripetal acceleration equal to the gravitation acceleration which gives

Gm/r2=v2/r
    m=v2r/G
    which yields something like 7.28635682 × 10^24(kg?)

I'm just looking for advice on what I'm actually looking to do. I don't know what I should be looking for....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your formula is correct, but check the calculation.

ehild

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much! I realized a dropped a "pi" at some point when I went back over it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook