Universal law of gravity question

In summary, the question is asking for the distance between the moon and Earth given the mass of the moon and the force of attraction between them. The necessary equations are provided and the only missing information is the mass of the Earth, which can be easily found through a quick internet search.
Rgonzales

Homework Statement

The question is: What is the distance between the moon and the Earth if the mass of the moon is 7.34 x 10(to the power of 22) kg and the force of attraction between the two is 2.00 x 10(to the power of 20) N?

Mass of the moon = 7.34 x 10(to the power of 22) kg
Attraction = 2.00 x 10(to the power of 20) N
Gravitional constant = -6.67 x 10(to the power of -11) N.m(squared)/kg(squared)
Mass of the Earth = ?
Distance between Earth and moon = ?

Homework Equations

F = G x m1 x m2
r(squared)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I am pretty sure that i first need to find the mass of the earth. After, i will be able to sub in all the information to get the answer. I just need help to find the mass of the earth. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just Google "mass of earth".

got it. thank you

What is the Universal Law of Gravity?

The Universal Law of Gravity is a fundamental law in physics that describes the attraction between two objects with mass. It states that every object in the universe exerts a gravitational force on every other object, and the strength of this force is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who discovered the Universal Law of Gravity?

The Universal Law of Gravity was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687. He formulated this law in his famous work "Principia Mathematica" and it is considered one of the most important contributions to modern physics and astronomy.

How does the Universal Law of Gravity apply to celestial bodies?

The Universal Law of Gravity applies to all objects with mass, including celestial bodies such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It explains the motion of these bodies and their interactions with each other, allowing us to understand and predict phenomena such as planetary orbits and the tides.

Can the Universal Law of Gravity be proven?

The Universal Law of Gravity has been extensively tested and observed, and it has been found to consistently and accurately describe the behavior of objects with mass. However, like all scientific theories, it is subject to revision and refinement as new evidence and observations are made.

How does the Universal Law of Gravity relate to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Einstein's Theory of General Relativity expands upon Newton's Universal Law of Gravity by providing a more comprehensive understanding of gravity as a curvature of spacetime. It is considered to be a more accurate and complete theory, particularly in extreme situations such as near black holes or during the expansion of the universe.