Grade 12 Centripetal Acceleration Question- Universal Law of Gravitation

In summary, we are asked to find the acceleration, gravitational force of attraction, centripetal force, and the contributing forces in the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom. Using the given radius and frequency, we can calculate the acceleration to be 9.97 x 10^22 m/s/s. However, without knowing the masses of the electron and proton, we cannot find the gravitational force of attraction or the centripetal force, which are both necessary for the calculation of the contributing forces.
AudenCalbray

Homework Statement

In the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, the electron revolves around the nucleus. If the radius of the orbit is 5.8 z 10^-11 m and the electron makes 6.6 x 10^15 r/s, find;
a) the acceleration of the electron
b) the magnitude of the gravitational force of attraction between the electron and the nucleus
c) the centripetal force acting on the electron
d) the magnitude of each force contributing to the centripetal acceleration (name each force)

Homework Equations

Fc= ma= mv^2/r=4pi^2Rf^2
Fg=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the acceleration by using this equation: ac=4pi^2Rf^2= 9.97 x 10^22 m/s/s, and I know that the two forces contributing to the Fc are Fg and an electrical force of attraction. I do not know how to get the gravitational force of attraction without any masses. I'm at a loss. I also calculated the speed, but I do not see how I can use that to get the Fg and the Fc. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have Hydrogen which is just one proton and one electron. So you can look up the masses for these two and use it.

rock.freak667 said:
Well you have Hydrogen which is just one proton and one electron. So you can look up the masses for these two and use it.
I'm pretty sure I'm only supposed to use information provided from the question though..

AudenCalbray said:
I'm pretty sure I'm only supposed to use information provided from the question though..

They are standard values but in that case, then you can't find the gravitational force nor the centripetal force as they both contain a mass term.

Oh, alright, thank you!

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of a circular path. It is always perpendicular to the velocity of an object moving in a circular path.

2. What is the Universal Law of Gravitation?

The Universal Law of Gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is centripetal acceleration related to the Universal Law of Gravitation?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by the gravitational force between two objects. For example, the moon orbits around the Earth due to the centripetal acceleration caused by the gravitational force between the two bodies.

4. How can we calculate centripetal acceleration using the Universal Law of Gravitation?

We can use the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object in circular motion, and r is the radius of the circular path. We can also use the formula a = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Universal Law of Gravitation and centripetal acceleration?

The Universal Law of Gravitation and centripetal acceleration are essential concepts in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and satellites. They are also used in designing and understanding the functioning of centrifuges, roller coasters, and other circular motion devices. Additionally, these concepts are crucial in predicting and studying the behavior of objects in orbit, such as space probes and satellites.