Grade 12 Centripetal Acceleration Question- Universal Law of Gravitation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
AudenCalbray
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, the electron revolves around the nucleus. If the radius of the orbit is 5.8 z 10^-11 m and the electron makes 6.6 x 10^15 r/s, find;
a) the acceleration of the electron
b) the magnitude of the gravitational force of attraction between the electron and the nucleus
c) the centripetal force acting on the electron
d) the magnitude of each force contributing to the centripetal acceleration (name each force)


Homework Equations


Fc= ma= mv^2/r=4pi^2Rf^2
Fg=Gm1m2/r^2


The Attempt at a Solution


So I got the acceleration by using this equation: ac=4pi^2Rf^2= 9.97 x 10^22 m/s/s, and I know that the two forces contributing to the Fc are Fg and an electrical force of attraction. I do not know how to get the gravitational force of attraction without any masses. I'm at a loss. I also calculated the speed, but I do not see how I can use that to get the Fg and the Fc. Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have Hydrogen which is just one proton and one electron. So you can look up the masses for these two and use it.
 
rock.freak667 said:
Well you have Hydrogen which is just one proton and one electron. So you can look up the masses for these two and use it.
I'm pretty sure I'm only supposed to use information provided from the question though..
 
AudenCalbray said:
I'm pretty sure I'm only supposed to use information provided from the question though..

They are standard values but in that case, then you can't find the gravitational force nor the centripetal force as they both contain a mass term.