Newton's Law of Gravity question

In summary, an astronaut lands on an unknown planet with a radius of 3560 m and jumps upward with an initial speed of 3.00 m/s, reaching a height of 0.50 m. Using Newton's law of gravitation, the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the planet is found to be 9 m/s2. This can then be used to determine the mass of the planet. The density of the planet may vary and does not necessarily have to be the same as Earth's.
cyspope

Homework Statement

An astronaut lands on an unknown planet with a radius of 3560 m. When she jumps upward with an initial speed of 3.00m/s she rises to a height of 0.50 m. What is the mass of the planet?

Homework Equations

vf2 = v02 + 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]X

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find the acceleration(gravity of the planet in this case) of the astronaut, I used following formula.

If I solve for 'a', then I get

a = (vf2-vo2) / 2[tex]\Delta[/tex]X

I pluged in the numbers,

a = (9m/s) / 2(0.5 m) = 9 m/s2

which doesn't make sense because the radius of the planet is only 3560 m.

please help me what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
cyspope said:

Homework Statement

An astronaut lands on an unknown planet with a radius of 3560 m. When she jumps upward with an initial speed of 3.00m/s she rises to a height of 0.50 m. What is the mass of the planet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find the acceleration(gravity of the planet in this case) of the astronaut, I used following formula.

If I solve for 'a', then I get

a = (vf2-vo2) / 2[tex]\Delta[/tex]X

I pluged in the numbers,

please help me what to do next.

Newton's law of gravitation gives the acceleration at a given radius from the center of a given spherical mass. You have the acceleration and the radius so find the mass.

Remember the density needn't be the same as Earth's if that is what worries you. Maybe the planet has more metal in its core.

cyspope said:
I pluged in the numbers,

Why doesn't it make sense?

Hint: You found the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the planet. How does that relate to the mass and radius of the planet?

thank you everyone

What is Newton's Law of Gravity?

Newton's Law of Gravity states that any two objects with mass are attracted to each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who is Sir Isaac Newton?

Sir Isaac Newton was a physicist and mathematician who is most famous for his contributions to the laws of motion and the theory of gravity. He lived in the 17th and 18th centuries and is considered one of the most influential scientists in history.

How does Newton's Law of Gravity affect objects on Earth?

Newton's Law of Gravity is responsible for the force of gravity that keeps objects on Earth from floating away into space. The mass of the Earth and the mass of objects on its surface create a gravitational pull that keeps objects grounded.

What is the difference between Newton's Law of Gravity and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Newton's Law of Gravity is a simplified version of gravity that works well for most everyday situations. Einstein's Theory of General Relativity is a more complex and accurate explanation of gravity that takes into account the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects.

Can Newton's Law of Gravity be applied to all objects in the universe?

No, Newton's Law of Gravity is not applicable to objects at the subatomic level or objects traveling at extremely high speeds. In those cases, the laws of quantum mechanics and relativity must be used to accurately describe the behavior of gravity.