Universe expansion discrepancy vs accelerated expansion

In summary, the discrepancy between the observed expansion rate of the universe and the predicted rate based on the laws of physics has led to the theory of accelerated expansion. This theory suggests that the expansion of the universe is not slowing down as previously thought, but rather is speeding up due to the influence of dark energy. This discrepancy and the theory of accelerated expansion have sparked ongoing research and debate in the scientific community, as it challenges our understanding of the fundamental principles governing the universe.
overzealous
TL;DR Summary
I'm confused about the meaning of the recent discrepancy in the measurements of the universe's expansion rate in the context of the accelerated expansion of the universe, demonstrated in 1998.
Hi! Obviously my understanding is at a pretty elementary level, but nevertheless I'm puzzled by the reaction of astronomers and astrophysicists to the discrepancy in the measurements of the expansion of the early universe based on the Cosmic Microwave Background, and the measurements of its expansion rate today, based on current measurements. According to articles I've read, the current expansion rate-- 9% faster than predicted from the CMB-- is being borne out to greater and greater degrees of certainty with each new study. But no mention is made in any of those articles of the accelerated expansion of the universe due to dark energy, discovered in 1998.

So am I to conclude that this 9% discrepancy is occurring despite taking into account the accelerating effects of dark energy? Please clarify!

Space news on Phys.org
Yes. The energy content of the Universe is taken into account.

overzealous said:
But no mention is made in any of those articles of the accelerated expansion of the universe due to dark energy, discovered in 1998.

So am I to conclude that this 9% discrepancy is occurring despite taking into account the accelerating effects of dark energy?
Take note of the name of the researcher leading the studies measuring the discrepancy. One can assume he remembers what he got his Nobel prize for.

• Haha
Likes phinds, nnunn, Nugatory and 2 others
overzealous said:
Summary: I'm confused about the meaning of the recent discrepancy in the measurements of the universe's expansion rate in the context of the accelerated expansion of the universe, demonstrated in 1998.

Hi! Obviously my understanding is at a pretty elementary level, but nevertheless I'm puzzled by the reaction of astronomers and astrophysicists to the discrepancy in the measurements of the expansion of the early universe based on the Cosmic Microwave Background, and the measurements of its expansion rate today, based on current measurements. According to articles I've read, the current expansion rate-- 9% faster than predicted from the CMB-- is being borne out to greater and greater degrees of certainty with each new study. But no mention is made in any of those articles of the accelerated expansion of the universe due to dark energy, discovered in 1998.

So am I to conclude that this 9% discrepancy is occurring despite taking into account the accelerating effects of dark energy? Please clarify!
The current expansion rate was determined by the same researchers who discovered the accelerating expansion. They reduced the degree of uncertainty in their previous measurements of the present day expansion rate by using measurements of binary stars in the Large Megallanic Cloud to better calibrate the Cepheid variable period-luminosity relationship. They had already determined that the present day Hubble constant is 74km/sec/Mpc, this just confirms that measurement as being just that more certain.
What I'm wondering, along with you, is, has that accelerated expansion been taken into account in the calculation done using the Planck measurements of the CMB to find a present day expansion rate of 68km/sec/Mpc? Does anyone here know how that calculation was done?

Likes andrew s 1905
The closest I've came was Finding articles regarding computer models.

Let's see if someone else may remember a study like this. Until then, I have another question. do we use the rate of Universe expansion to help calculate the age of the universe? If it does, would this change the age of our universe?

HankDorsett said:
Until then, I have another question.
You should probably start a new thread with your new question. Be sure to post links to the reading you have been doing about that question -- you may even be able to answer that question yourself by finding some good links... :smile:

berkeman said:
You should probably start a new thread with your new question. Be sure to post links to the reading you have been doing about that question -- you may even be able to answer that question yourself by finding some good links... :smile:
I apologize, I meant to respond to another post.

alantheastronomer said:
The current expansion rate was determined by the same researchers who discovered the accelerating expansion. They reduced the degree of uncertainty in their previous measurements of the present day expansion rate by using measurements of binary stars in the Large Megallanic Cloud to better calibrate the Cepheid variable period-luminosity relationship. They had already determined that the present day Hubble constant is 74km/sec/Mpc, this just confirms that measurement as being just that more certain.
What I'm wondering, along with you, is, has that accelerated expansion been taken into account in the calculation done using the Planck measurements of the CMB to find a present day expansion rate of 68km/sec/Mpc? Does anyone here know how that calculation was done?
Just wondering if the study in the International Journal of Modern Physics by Eric Lerner from Lawrenceville Plasma Physics, Renato Falomo of the Astronomical Observatory in Italy and Riccardo Scarlatti from the Institute of Astrophysics in Spain that the surface brightness of the near and far galaxies are identical, which is consistent with what would be expected from ordinary geometry if the universe were not expanding, has had any influence on the current expanding universe hypothesis?

Auston Louis said:
Just wondering if the study...that the surface brightness of the near and far galaxies are identical...has had any influence on the current expanding universe hypothesis?
No, no it hasn't. That's because Peebles has determined from those acoustic oscillations in the microwave background radiation for whose prediction he won the Nobel prize, that the universe was still flat at the time the radiation was produced. That means there is no change in the curvature to alter surface brightness over time...and that the size of the universe has been vastly underestimated! There's a new wrinkle in this saga, however. Wendy Friedman, a researcher specializing in the construction of the cosmological distance ladder, much to her surprise found, using a different technique to measure distances to nearby galaxies, a value for the Hubble constant of 70km/sec/Mpc, much closer to the value of 68km/sec/Mpc found using the CMB method than the value of 74km/sec/Mpc found by Adam Reiss using nearby Cepheid variables. Her method used the brightness of stars at the tip of the giant branch, stars just beginning to undergo helium fusion in their cores, which are remarkably consistent in the infrared. There was no overlap however, in the galaxies used in her's and Reiss's studies, so we can't be sure where their measurements begin to disagree.

alantheastronomer said:
That means there is no change in the curvature to alter surface brightness over time...and that the size of the universe has been vastly underestimated!

Reference, please?

PeterDonis said:
Reference, please?
That would be the aforementioned paper by Lerner et.al. which finds no change in the surface brightness of galaxies over cosmological distances, contrary to what the authors expected if the universe was curved and expanding, leading them to conclude that the universe is flat, static, and did not originate in a "big bang". But their observations are actually supported by the CMB observations, which means they overestimated the curvature of the universe and underestimated the size of the universe.

alantheastronomer said:
That would be the aforementioned paper by Lerner et.al.

Does anyone happen to have an actual link to this paper?

Auston Louis said:
Eric Lerner from Lawrenceville Plasma Physics

You mean The Big Bang Never Happened Eric Lerner?
The plasma cosmology (a banned topic on PF) Eric Lerner?
The conspiracy theorist Eric Lerner?
That Eric Lerner?

• Haha
Likes weirdoguy, phinds and alantheastronomer
Vanadium 50 said:
You mean The Big Bang Never Happened Eric Lerner?
The plasma cosmology (a banned topic on PF) Eric Lerner?
The conspiracy theorist Eric Lerner?
That Eric Lerner?
That seems like a good way to tie off this thread.

1. What is the difference between universe expansion discrepancy and accelerated expansion?

Universe expansion discrepancy refers to the discrepancy between the observed expansion rate of the universe and the predicted expansion rate based on the current understanding of the universe's composition. On the other hand, accelerated expansion refers to the observed phenomenon of the universe's expansion rate increasing over time, contrary to the initial expectation that it would slow down due to the gravitational pull of matter.

2. What is the main cause of the universe expansion discrepancy?

The main cause of the universe expansion discrepancy is the presence of dark energy. This mysterious force, which makes up about 70% of the universe, is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. Its existence was first proposed to explain the discrepancy between the observed and predicted expansion rates.

3. How is the accelerated expansion of the universe measured?

The accelerated expansion of the universe is measured through observations of distant supernovae, which act as standard candles to determine the distance to their host galaxies. By comparing the distance to these galaxies with their redshift (a measure of how much their light has been stretched due to the expansion of the universe), scientists can calculate the expansion rate of the universe at different points in time.

4. Is there any other evidence for accelerated expansion besides supernovae observations?

Yes, there are other lines of evidence that support the existence of accelerated expansion. These include measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the large-scale structure of the universe, and the growth of galaxy clusters over time. All of these observations point to a consistent picture of an accelerating expansion of the universe.

5. What are some proposed explanations for the accelerated expansion of the universe?

There are several proposed explanations for the accelerated expansion of the universe, including the existence of dark energy, modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity, and the presence of a new type of subatomic particle called a quintessence. However, the exact cause of accelerated expansion is still a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists.