Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universe expansion is accelerating?

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Hi i have a question, i m a engineer but i have probably a dumb question ¿if the Expansion of the Universe is accelerating, but exist a speed limit "c" this tell me that at one point the universe will expand at a constant rate?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2
    Its an often-asked question. What happens is that *space* itself expands at an accelerating rate, and is thus not bound by the speed of light. The speed of light is a maximum bound for something that travels *in* space, but space itself can expand at any rate it wants.

4. May 9, 2015 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Actually "*space* itself expands" is a very contentious way of describing it. More correctly, it is simply that things get farther apart. Google "metric expansion" for more details.

5. May 9, 2015 #4
    thanks for your answers

6. May 9, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You might also be interested to know that even within our Observable Universe, the recession velocity of things the farthest away from us is currently about 3c. No speeding tickets are issued because recession velocity is not proper velocity and speeding tickets only apply to proper velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook