1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Major applying for EE internships

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    Hello all,

I am a senior physics major currently in the process of applying into an EE masters program. I'd like to get an EE related internship next summer to get some work experience. How should I go about this? There is a career fair at my school sometime this fall. When I approach potential employers should I discuss how I am currently applying into masters programs? Or just leave it at physics? Will my chances of getting the internship be worse than if I was an EE major, or can I somehow spin it so my situation (physics major who took a few engineering courses) appears better.

The EE related courses I'll have taken by next summer:
    Math until Differential Equations
    Circuits
    Signals and Systems
    Introduction to Programming

What should I be doing now to increase the odds that I get an internship?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2
    Yes, you want to say that you are applying to an EE Masters program, because that will make it look like you are interested in engineering. As for increasing the odds of getting an internship, it really depends a lot on the company offering the internship, but I can make some guesses about what helps: good grades, relevant prior internships or work experience, relevant extracurriculars, and good soft skills. The things that help you get an internship are by and large the same things that help you get a job.

4. Sep 4, 2015 #3
    Your chances of getting an internship are worse than if you'd have an engineering degree, but there are lots of engineering internships and jobs that ask for physics majors concurrently with EE majors; or so I've seen when I was job searching. These being mostly those of the eletromagnetics and RF variety so you might want to focus on the sort of work which blends well with what your physics background brings to the table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook