Are there paid internships in research for good causes in undeveloped countries?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
whyme1010
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Does anyone know if any companies working for good causes (water filters, disease control, agricultural improvements) in undeveloped countries have paid internships for the summer (if not paid, at least room and board). Actually I'll even take good unpaid internship opportunities. I'd just like to do some sort of actual research/analytic type work.

I'm a junior in college right now. My work experience is all in academia. TAing Calculus, tutoring for the college. I work in a exp. condensed matter lab- I've done a physics REU and a math REU.

I'm a physics and math major- skills are coding (web development(css,js), python, igor pro, haskell), machining, electronics.

When I google "research for good causes", not much comes up. Same for "internship for good causes".

I could get a position in some NGO/governmental agency, but it will unlikely use the skills that I have...

Any information about past experience/ organizations would be extremely helpful!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with Greg. "Good causes" is far too broad. One could argue that just about everyone who is doing research sees what they are doing as a good cause - in academia anyway.

Perhaps you could look up "Engineers Without Boarders."
 
Choppy said:
Perhaps you could look up "Engineers Without Boarders."

Actually, most engineers fall into this category.

(Sorry Choppy, couldn't resist! :) )
 
Choppy said:
Perhaps you could look up "Engineers Without Boarders."
Locrian said:
Actually, most engineers fall into this category.
Unless they've been boarded or run a rooming house.:D
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bandersnatch