Are there paid internships in research for good causes in undeveloped countries?

In summary, a college junior with a background in academia is looking for paid or unpaid internships in companies working for good causes in undeveloped countries. They have skills in coding, machining, and electronics and have experience in physics and math research. They have tried searching for opportunities using broad terms like "good causes" but have not found much. Suggestions are made to be more specific in searches, such as looking for water filter companies or organizations like Engineers Without Borders. The American Water-Works Association is also mentioned as a potential resource for opportunities related to water filtration and sustainable water resource management.
whyme1010
Hello,

Does anyone know if any companies working for good causes (water filters, disease control, agricultural improvements) in undeveloped countries have paid internships for the summer (if not paid, at least room and board). Actually I'll even take good unpaid internship opportunities. I'd just like to do some sort of actual research/analytic type work.

I'm a junior in college right now. My work experience is all in academia. TAing Calculus, tutoring for the college. I work in a exp. condensed matter lab- I've done a physics REU and a math REU.

I'm a physics and math major- skills are coding (web development(css,js), python, igor pro, haskell), machining, electronics.

When I google "research for good causes", not much comes up. Same for "internship for good causes".

I could get a position in some NGO/governmental agency, but it will unlikely use the skills that I have...

Any information about past experience/ organizations would be extremely helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you search, be more specific. "Good causes" is too broad. Try searching for water filter companies etc and contact them personally.

I agree with Greg. "Good causes" is far too broad. One could argue that just about everyone who is doing research sees what they are doing as a good cause - in academia anyway.

Perhaps you could look up "Engineers Without Boarders."

Choppy said:

Actually, most engineers fall into this category.

(Sorry Choppy, couldn't resist! :) )

If you're curious about water filtration, look at the American Water-Works Association. They have programs such as Water for the People and Sustainable water resource management that may interest you.

Choppy said:
Locrian said:
Actually, most engineers fall into this category.
Unless they've been boarded or run a rooming house.:D

Likes Bandersnatch

What is "Research for Good Causes"?

"Research for Good Causes" is a type of research that aims to benefit society and make a positive impact on the world. It involves conducting scientific studies and experiments to find solutions to problems and improve the well-being of individuals and communities.

Why is "Research for Good Causes" important?

"Research for Good Causes" is important because it helps address societal issues and improve the lives of others. It also allows for the development of new technologies and solutions to global challenges. Additionally, it can provide valuable insights and knowledge that can be applied to various fields and industries.

What types of research are typically included in "Research for Good Causes"?

"Research for Good Causes" can encompass a wide range of research areas, including but not limited to: public health, environmental science, social sciences, education, and technology. It can involve both qualitative and quantitative methods, and may also involve interdisciplinary approaches.

How can individuals get involved in "Research for Good Causes"?

There are many ways for individuals to get involved in "Research for Good Causes". They can participate in studies and experiments as subjects, volunteer for research projects, or even conduct their own research. Additionally, supporting and advocating for ethical and responsible research practices is also a way to contribute to "Research for Good Causes".

What are some examples of successful "Research for Good Causes" projects?

Some examples of successful "Research for Good Causes" projects include the development of vaccines and treatments for diseases, the implementation of renewable energy sources to combat climate change, and the creation of educational programs to improve literacy rates. Other examples include research on social inequality and discrimination, leading to policy changes and societal progress.