Unpolarised light: Orientation of the E-field

In summary, The light in the picture is polarized and can be resolved into two perpendicular waves. The filter can filter out some of the waves but some waves will still get through.
palkia

Homework Statement

How does this picture represent a unpolarised light?
unpol.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I thought light waves were perpendicular to the direction of propogation so if it has diagonal components then isn't that not perpendicular to the wave direction

If it is a unploarised light then can we resolve an unpolarised light into two polarised light wavesIs unpolarised light mix of different polarised light in different directions?

Attachments

• unpol.jpg
    unpol.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 852
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are misinterpreting the image. All of the vectors in the yellow disk are perpendicular to the direction of propagation. The yellow disk itself is perpendicular to the direction of propagation. (In three dimensions, there are two directions that are perpendicular to any given direction.)

Likes palkia
are these wavesof a single light wave or of multiple light waves

The incident light is a mix of lots of waves, they favour no particular polarisation.

Likes palkia
NascentOxygen said:
The incident light is a mix of lots of waves, they favour no particular polarisation.

So I can think of unpolarised light as conissting of many polarised lights perpendicular to the direction of wave direction...?
Can we do components of these polarised waves in any two perpendiular direction?

palkia said:
So I can think of unpolarised light as conissting of many polarised lights perpendicular to the direction of wave direction...?
Yes, but bear in mind that an individual photon does not need to be polarised exactly in line with the filter to get through. The rule is that if the angle between the polarisations is θ then the chance of getting through is cos2(θ), but having got through it will now behave as though exactly aligned with the filter.
palkia said:
Can we do components of these polarised waves in any two perpendiular direction?
I think you can in terms of the quantum wave function (I may be corrected by a quantum theorist on the thread) but not in terms of the chances of getting through the filter, so not in terms of the intensity that gets through. The reason is that cos2 behaviour.

palkia said:
So I can think of unpolarized light as consisting of many polarized lights perpendicular to the direction of wave direction...?
Can we do components of these polarized waves in any two perpendicular direction?
A polarized wave can be resolved into any two assigned perpendicular directions (axes).

rude man said:
A polarized wave can be resolved into any two assigned perpendicular directions (axes).
So how does this work...
Suppose a light beam is polarised at angle θ anticlockwise from the x-axis and the filter is set at angle φ to that axis.
Without resolving into components, the transmitted intensity factor is cos2(θ-φ).
If I first say that the incoming beam is equivalent to a fraction f(θ) parallel to the x-axis and a fraction f(θ') normal to it, where θ+θ'=π/2, then the transmitted intensity should be
f(θ)cos2(φ)+f(θ')sin2(φ).

Is there a function f that makes the two expressions the same? Looks to me that cos2 is the only possibility, but that gives cos2(θ)cos2(φ)+sin2(θ)sin2(φ) whereas cos2(θ-φ) expands to cos2(θ)cos2(φ)+sin2(θ)sin2(φ)+2cos(θ)cos(φ)sin(θ)sin(φ).
Note in particular what each gives for θ=φ.

haruspex said:
So how does this work...
Suppose a light beam is polarised at angle θ anticlockwise from the x-axis and the filter is set at angle φ to that axis.
Without resolving into components, the transmitted intensity factor is cos2(θ-φ).
If I first say that the incoming beam is equivalent to a fraction f(θ) parallel to the x-axis and a fraction f(θ') normal to it, where θ+θ'=π/2, then the transmitted intensity should be
f(θ)cos2(φ)+f(θ')sin2(φ).

Is there a function f that makes the two expressions the same? Looks to me that cos2 is the only possibility, but that gives cos2(θ)cos2(φ)+sin2(θ)sin2(φ) whereas cos2(θ-φ) expands to cos2(θ)cos2(φ)+sin2(θ)sin2(φ)+2cos(θ)cos(φ)sin(θ)sin(φ).
Note in particular what each gives for θ=φ.
I was referring to the E field vector.The E field vector is the fundamental parameter. Vectors can be resolved, intensities (which are not vectors) only indirectly so (by squaring the resultant E field).

When it comes to this kind of problem I prefer to think in terms of E vectors rather than intensities. Then the resultant E vector can be squared to get the corresponding intensity. And E vector magnitude goes as cos and sin. Probably just habit.

Likes Merlin3189
rude man said:
I was referring to the E field vector.The E field vector is the fundamental parameter. Vectors can be resolved, intensities (which are not vectors) only indirectly so (by squaring the resultant E field).

When it comes to this kind of problem I prefer to think in terms of E vectors rather than intensities. Then the resultant E vector can be squared to get the corresponding intensity. And E vector magnitude goes as cos and sin. Probably just habit.
Ok, I think I see how it works for intensities.
If the incoming light has intensity I we can resolve that into vectors of magnitude I½cos(θ) and I½sin(θ). The magnitudes that get through the filter then follow a cos rule, not a cos2 rule, so are I½cos(θ)cos(φ) and I½sin(θ)sin(φ). These are magnitudes of vectors aligned with the filter, so we can add them directly to get magnitude I½cos(θ-φ).
Finally squaring to get the transmitted intensity: Icos2(θ-φ), as required.

Likes Merlin3189

1. What is unpolarised light?

Unpolarised light is a type of light in which the electric field oscillates in all directions perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This means that the light does not have a specific orientation or direction of oscillation.

2. How is the orientation of the electric field in unpolarised light determined?

The orientation of the electric field in unpolarised light is random and constantly changing. This means that the electric field can be in any direction perpendicular to the direction of propagation at any given time.

3. Can unpolarised light be polarised?

Yes, unpolarised light can be polarised by passing it through a polarising filter. This filter only allows light with a specific orientation of the electric field to pass through, resulting in polarised light.

4. What is the difference between unpolarised and polarised light?

The main difference between unpolarised and polarised light is the orientation of the electric field. In unpolarised light, the electric field oscillates in all directions, while in polarised light it only oscillates in one specific direction.

5. How is the orientation of the electric field related to the intensity of unpolarised light?

The orientation of the electric field in unpolarised light does not affect its intensity. The intensity of unpolarised light is determined by the amplitude of the electric field, which remains constant regardless of its orientation.