Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unruh effect - When?

1. Dec 30, 2014 #1
    When an object starts accelerating, when does it receive Unruh radiation?

1. After some delay, because it takes time for the photons to travel from the Rindler horizon
    2. Immediately, because an object instantly "assumes" an accelerating frame, which is already filled with Unruh radiation.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2014 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Number 2.

4. Dec 30, 2014 #3
    So we detect Unruh radiation even if Rindler horizon is not visible - say, is obscured by something?

5. Dec 30, 2014 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's logically the same as "Can I still see something when my hands are covering my eyes?"

6. Dec 30, 2014 #5
    What if your hands (screen) are far enough from you - almost at Rindler's horizon?
    Then saying that distant screen blocks Unruh radiation is the same as claiming #1 in my first post.

7. Jan 2, 2015 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

That's correct. The horizon is not essential for the Unruh effect. See e.g.
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0103108 [Mod.Phys.Lett.A16:579-581,2001]

8. Jan 2, 2015 #7

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Thanks Demy! It's good to have that point clarified!
    So (and please correct this if it's wrong) the temperature arises locally in the vacuum just from acceleration---and the Rindler horizon is a nonessential descriptive parameter of the acceleration?

Thanks also to Tzimie for asking the right question to elicit the clarification.

9. Jan 5, 2015 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

That's almost correct, with a caveat that the effect is local in space (a very small detector can see the effect) but not completely local in time (in order for the detector response to have a thermal spectrum, the acceleration must exist for a long time).

Incidentally, today a new paper appeared which discusses these things in more detail:
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1501.00119

10. Jan 5, 2015 #9

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes! I saw that and logged it on the biblio thread! Nicolaevici "Unruh effect without Rindler horizon"! just what you were talking about (and wrote about several years ago.

11. Jan 7, 2015 #10
    Thank you, and I am happy because my intuition was right :)
    What's about radiation from the cosmological horizons in our expanding Universe? Do we need to see cosmological horizons or not?

12. Jan 7, 2015 #11

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Unlike Rindler horizon, the cosmological horizon (similarly to the black hole horizon) is quite relevant for the radiation.

13. Jan 7, 2015 #12
    I was also wondering

During the inflation era when the expansion was so rapid --> cosmological horizons were so close --> radiation from them was so intense --> average density of energy could be significant to influence and even to cancel the inflation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook