How exactly does Hawking radiation work?

In summary: Energy is not something that exists independently. Energy is a property of systems. There is no such "stuff" as energy. Energy is a numerical quantity that denotes the ability of a system to perform work. In order for energy to exist, there must be a system that possesses it. In other words, a vacuum cannot "contain" energy. Energy is a property of matter and radiation.
caspeerrr

Homework Statement

For school I'm doing a project on hawking radiaton but I have very big difficulties trying to understand it.
I'm trying to understand the matter about: Unruh effect, particle pair (antimatter - matter) and the theory of relativity regarding vaccuum.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

What I now think about hawking radiaton:
Energy travels inside the gravitational pull of a black hole. Due to the Unruh effect, a particle pair will be created. I don't know how, but they get separated and one of the two gets outside the gravitational pull in the form of radiation. The other will go inside the black hole, but because it is antimatter, the energy of the black hole will decrease, so in time the black hole will evaporate.
What I think I know about the unruh effect:
In a vacuum cannot be any particles. But if a observer accelerates, particles will be observed in the stationary vaccuum.
Because of the theory of relativity, the gravitational pull can be considered as acceleration so the unruh effect takes place at the black hole.

I'm aware that many of this will probably be not right. I'd appreciate it very much if someone could say what is correct and if not correct, could complement it.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole "virtual particle" description of Hawking Radiation is NOT what actually happens. Hawking said that it was the best he could come up with to describe in English something that really can only be described in the math. You'll see it in pop-sci presentations, but not in physics textbooks.

I have no idea what you might have in mind when you say "In a vacuum cannot be any particles"

phinds said:
The whole "virtual particle" description of Hawking Radiation is NOT what actually happens. Hawking said that it was the best he could come up with to describe in English something that really can only be described in the math. You'll see it in pop-sci presentations, but not in physics textbooks.

I have no idea what you might have in mind when you say "In a vacuum cannot be any particles"

Thanks for your answer!
So is it known what really happens? I don't have access to physics textbooks and have to work with google.
Further, I read somewhere ( can't find where) that in a vacuum, it is not possible to have any particles. Only energy can exist in a vacuum. So this is not true?

caspeerrr said:
Thanks for your answer!
So is it known what really happens? I don't have access to physics textbooks and have to work with google.
It is known of course, but my understanding is that you have to understand some wicked complex math to understand it
Further, I read somewhere ( can't find where) that in a vacuum, it is not possible to have any particles. Only energy can exist in a vacuum. So this is not true?
It is not only not true, it is nonsensical.

1. What is Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking. It is a form of radiation that is believed to be emitted by black holes.

2. How does Hawking radiation work?

Hawking radiation is caused by a process where particles and antiparticles are created near the event horizon of a black hole. One of these particles falls into the black hole, while the other escapes as radiation.

3. How does Hawking radiation affect black holes?

Hawking radiation causes black holes to slowly lose mass over time, eventually leading to their complete evaporation. This process is extremely slow for large black holes, but becomes more significant for smaller ones.

4. Can Hawking radiation be observed?

Currently, Hawking radiation has not been directly observed due to its extremely low intensity. However, some indirect evidence has been found through observations of black holes in space.

5. What is the significance of Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is significant because it provides a way for black holes to lose mass and eventually disappear, which was previously thought to be impossible. It also has implications for the laws of thermodynamics and the nature of space and time.