Unusual partial differentiation equation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating partial derivatives ∂f/∂x and ∂f/∂y for the function yf^2 + sin(xy) = f. The conversation involves using the product rule and chain rule to differentiate the function and finding a way to remove the ∂f/∂x term on the left-hand side.
rachibabes

Homework Statement

Calculate ∂f/∂x and ∂f/∂y for the following function:

[itex]yf^2 + sin(xy) = f [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand basic partial differentiation, but I have no idea how to approach the f incorporation on both sides of the equation nor what you would explicitly call this kind of mathematical technique. Anyone who can point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi rachibabes! welcome to pf! :smile:
rachibabes said:
Calculate ∂f/∂x and ∂f/∂y for the following function:

just do ∂/∂x to the equation in the usual way (using the product rule for the yf2) …

what do you get? :smile:

I get:

[itex]y2f∂f/∂x +f^2∂y/∂x + cos(xy)*(x∂y/∂x+y) = ∂f/∂x [/itex]

[itex]y2f∂f/∂x +f^2∂y/∂x + x∂y/∂xcos(xy) + ycos(xy) = ∂f/∂x[/itex]

[itex]∂y/∂x[f^2 + cos(xy)] + ycos(xy) + y2f∂f/∂x = ∂f/∂x[/itex]

I have no idea how to remove the ∂f/∂x on the left hand side :/

hey there, rachibabes! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

f(x,y) is a function of the variables x and y

∂/∂x means differentiating wrt x keeping y fixed

so ∂y/∂x = … ? :smile:

1. What is a partial differentiation equation?

A partial differentiation equation is a mathematical equation that involves taking the partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is used to study how the function changes with respect to each of its variables.

2. How is a partial differentiation equation different from a regular differentiation equation?

A partial differentiation equation involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. A regular differentiation equation involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to only one variable.

3. What makes a partial differentiation equation "unusual"?

An unusual partial differentiation equation is one that is not commonly seen or studied. It may involve complex functions or unusual variables, making it more difficult to solve or understand.

4. What are some real-world applications of partial differentiation equations?

Partial differentiation equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are commonly used to model rates of change in systems with multiple variables, such as fluid flow or chemical reactions.

5. How can I solve an unusual partial differentiation equation?

Solving a partial differentiation equation typically involves using various techniques, such as the chain rule and product rule, to take derivatives and simplify the equation. It may also involve using boundary conditions or numerical methods to find a solution. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and mathematical methods to solve these equations.