Evaluating a derivative by partial differentiation proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of partial differentiation and implicit differentiation to find the derivative of a function. The formula for partial differentiation is presented and the difference between partial differentiation and implicit differentiation is explained. The importance of understanding the definition of the differential of a function is emphasized. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a new method to solve a problem, even if it may be easier to use a method that is already familiar.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

Suppose we have an equation,
ex + xy + x2 = 5
Find dy/dx

Homework Equations

Now I know all the linear differentiation stuff like product rule, chain rule etc.
Also I know partial differentiation is differentiating one variable and keeping other one constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

By my method I can evaluate like,
Differentiating both sides
ex + y + xdy/dx + 2x = 0
and then rearrange to get dy/dx.

But my question is
When f(x,y) = 0
How dy/dx = -δx/δy ?
This is really a fast method as we don't have to rearrange terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:
When f(x,y) = 0
How dy/dx = -δx/δy ?
How do you explain that?

I know that in some cases you have [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=(\frac{dx}{dy})^{-1} [/itex], but it presupposes that y(x) is injective and that x(y) is meaningful and differentiable.

Svein said:
How do you explain that?

I know that in some cases you have [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=(\frac{dx}{dy})^{-1} [/itex], but it presupposes that y(x) is injective and that x(y) is meaningful and differentiable.
Okay the function is continuous and differentiable everywhere.

And sorry, it should be
$$ dy/dx = \frac{-δf(x,y)/δx}{δf(x,y)/δy} $$

Raghav Gupta said:
And sorry, it should be
That's better. And even correct since you start out with f(x, y) = 0. Then [itex] 0 = df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/itex].

SteamKing said:
How is this different from implicit differentiation?

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/ImplicitDiff.aspx
Because we do not have to rearrange terms in this partial derivative method and it is fast.
Svein said:
That's better. And even correct since you start out with f(x, y) = 0. Then [itex] 0 = df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/itex].
Not getting this step,
If f(x,y) = 0 then how df= 0.
Note I have not taken classes of partial differentiation.
I Only know this formula and applying because it is fast as compared to implicit differentiation.
Can you give me some insight on deriving the formula?

Raghav Gupta said:
Because we do not have to rearrange terms in this partial derivative method and it is fast.

Dudn't seem to be faster, otherwise there wouldn't be this extended thread on getting all the terms correct.

As far as not having to rearrange terms, are you sure you haven't "cherry-picked" your example function from the OP?

Raghav Gupta said:
If f(x,y) = 0 then how df= 0.
If f = constant, then df = 0.

Raghav Gupta said:
And sorry, it should be
Implicit differentiation is definitely the way to go here, not partial derivatives, as SteamKing suggests. You are way overcomplicating things by invoking partial derivatives

For this question, it's easy to express y in terms of x and differentiate. You don't even need implicit differentiation.

But I don't see it complicated if I know the formula.
For example taking my example in OP
ex + xy + x2-5 = 0
Now, δf(x,y)/δx = ex + y + 2x
δf(x,y)/δy = x
So by formula dy/dx = -(ex + y + 2x)/x
---------

f(x, y) = 0. Then [itex] 0 = df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/itex]
I'm not understanding the red part. How we are arriving at that?

Raghav Gupta said:
<Snip>

---------

f(x, y) = 0. Then [itex] 0 = df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/itex]

This is the definition of the differential of a function of two variables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_of_a_function

It is not an arbitrary definition; the differential is the best local-linear approximation to the change of
a (differentiable)function, in a precise ## \delta - \epsilon ## sense.

Raghav Gupta said:
But I don't see it complicated if I know the formula.
For example taking my example in OP
ex + xy + x2-5 = 0
Now, δf(x,y)/δx = ex + y + 2x
δf(x,y)/δy = x
So by formula dy/dx = -(ex + y + 2x)/x
---------

I think you are not understanding the formula you posted. We don't "arrive" at what you have in red, above. As already stated, that's the definition of the differential of f, with f being a function of two variables.

From this definition, you can derive the formula you're using.

Yes I am not understanding the formula.
As I told you I have not taken a class of partial differentials yet.
I mostly deal with dy, dx not δy and δx.
Is ∂x and δx different?

WWGD said:
This is the definition of the differential of a function of two variables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_of_a_function

It is not an arbitrary definition; the differential is the best local-linear approximation to the change of
a (differentiable)function, in a precise ## \delta - \epsilon ## sense.
Now, I am not understanding the definition formula.
What to do if you are not understanding definition and what to do if you know only the ordinary differentiation?

If you only know ordinary differentiation, you had better not used this method. It's easy to get things wrong this way.

For this question, it's really easy to express y in terms of x and differentiate.

momoko said:
If you only know ordinary differentiation, you had better not used this method. It's easy to get things wrong this way.

For this question, it's really easy to express y in terms of x and differentiate.
But I want to learn a new thing.
The attempt I have shown in OP for implicit differentiation.
Edit - moderator you can delete this and subsequent message , don't know why the messages repeated at same time.

momoko said:

But I want to learn a new thing.
The attempt I have shown in OP for implicit differentiation.

Related to Evaluating a derivative by partial differentiation proof

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, holding all other variables constant.

2. How do you evaluate a derivative by partial differentiation?

To evaluate a derivative by partial differentiation, you first need to take the partial derivative of the function with respect to the variable you are interested in. Then, you plug in the given values for the other variables and solve the resulting single-variable derivative.

3. Why is partial differentiation useful?

Partial differentiation allows us to study the behavior of a function in relation to specific variables, rather than considering all variables at once. This can be especially useful in real-world applications where multiple variables are involved.

4. What is the difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a type of multivariable differentiation, where the function is differentiated with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. Ordinary differentiation, on the other hand, is the differentiation of a single-variable function.

5. Can you provide an example of evaluating a derivative by partial differentiation?

Sure, for example, let's say we have the function f(x, y) = 3x^2 + 2y - 5xy. To evaluate the partial derivative of f with respect to x, we first take the derivative of each term with respect to x, holding y constant. This gives us ∂f/∂x = 6x - 5y. Then, we can plug in the given values for y and solve for the resulting single-variable derivative.