UofT or McMaster: Which Engineering Program is Right for Me?

In summary, the conversation was about a high school student from Hamilton, Ontario who received conditional offers for engineering from McMaster and University of Toronto. The student was conflicted on which offer to take, as UofT was more preferable but also more expensive. Some suggested doing 2 years at McMaster and transferring to UofT, while others advised to consider the long-term financial burden. The student also mentioned wanting to do mechanical engineering and the potential earnings in the field. Ultimately, the decision was made based on financial factors rather than personal preference.
JXayph
Im a high school student in Hamilton, Ontario, and on the second round of admissions I received conditional offers from McMaster for general engineering and University of Toronto for chemical engineering. I intend to do engineering right after undergrad, but everything is subject to change, I guess. I'm conflicted on which offer I want to take, for multiple reasons. UofT is definitely preferable to me right now, for multiple reasons. Firstly, I've lived in Hamilton my entire life, and I just want to leave this city for a while if I can. UofT seems to be more highly regarded, from what I've seen, the campus seems nicer, it seems like there's a lot more to do there, etc etc, but my main concern is the price tag. Attending UofT, I estimated the cost of a 5 year program to be $120,000 (How realistic is that estimate, by the way? I just threw some numbers out there). McMaster would be significantly less, I estimated it to be $60,000 since I could live at home. However, my worry is that I wouldn't get the full university experience, which is something that I was looking forward to immensely. As a side note, I want to do mechanical engineering, and if I went to UofT I would do first year in chem and transfer over afterwards, hopefully, if I still wanted to. Can anyone with more knowledge of the two programs maybe offer me some guidance on this issue? My financial situation isn't necessarily the best to be accruing debt, either. I have roughly $20,000 in an RESP, and I'm not sure how much assistance I can attain through scholarships and bursaries. Any help would be immensely appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not both? Do 2 years @ Mac and than the last 3 years @ UofT. That way, you'll spend somewhere in-between 60 grand to 120 grand AND have the university experience.

The "full university experience" is not worth $60 000.00. While it comes with some freedoms, it also comes with headaches such as roommates with varying definitions of the words: clean, quiet, manners, legal, etc.

Both schools you have listed are great as far as engineering goes. You won't be denied any opportunities later because you chose one over the other.

I can certainly understand wanting to get out of the city you've grown up in. But remember, the opportunity to leave will be there when you graduate too.

Also, if you need to get out of your parents' place for sanity/freedom reasons that's one thing. But if you have an amicable relationship with your parents and can make that work for the next few years to cut about $60k off your debt load I would strongly suggest trying to make that work.

I think I probably will just do Mac. 60k is definitely more than I can afford to spend on something as arbitrary as that, to be honest. I don't want to be paying off debt until I'm in my forties or fifties.

JXayph said:
I think I probably will just do Mac. 60k is definitely more than I can afford to spend on something as arbitrary as that, to be honest. I don't want to be paying off debt until I'm in my forties or fifties.
With the amount of money you can earn with an engineering degree, you can pay off that debt in 2-4 years! I'm currently in UWO right now and one of the reasons I chose it was for the university experience and to tell you the truth… I would've been as happy if I were to stay in Mississauga and gone to UTM.

Anyways…

Go get that Iron Ring!

coolusername said:
With the amount of money you can earn with an engineering degree, you can pay off that debt in 2-4 years! I'm currently in UWO right now and one of the reasons I chose it was for the university experience and to tell you the truth… I would've been as happy if I were to stay in Mississauga and gone to UTM.

Anyways…

Go get that Iron Ring!

I haven't really looked that far into the potential earnings of engineers that much, engineering has just always been a natural career goal for me. Could 60k more really be paid off that fast? I wouldn't even mind living a bit rough for a couple years, just to take care of the debt before it grows. If so, I might just end up at UofT. I'm definitely going to look for summer work too, to try and take a couple thousand off if I can, too. My friend did landscaping last year, earned $3000 that summer, hopefully I can do the same.

What sucks about this all though is that I'm making this decision purely based on money. If that wasn't a factor, I'd definitely choose UofT, no doubt about it. This choice is probably one of the biggest I'll make in my whole life, and I'm scared of the potential consequences of either. I guess that's just life in general though, right? Thanks a lot for your input, by the way. I really do appreciate it.

how did you get high 90s to get into UofT? Are you a sort of a genius?

1. What is the reputation of UofT and McMaster Engineering?

Both UofT and McMaster Engineering have excellent reputations in the field of engineering. UofT is known for its rigorous academic curriculum and cutting-edge research opportunities, while McMaster Engineering is recognized for its strong emphasis on hands-on learning and industry connections.

2. Which university has a better engineering program?

Both UofT and McMaster Engineering have highly regarded engineering programs. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and career goals. UofT may be more ideal for those interested in research and academia, while McMaster Engineering may be better for those seeking practical experience.

3. How competitive are the admissions for UofT and McMaster Engineering?

Both UofT and McMaster Engineering have competitive admissions processes. UofT typically has a higher entrance average, while McMaster Engineering may place more emphasis on extracurricular activities and personal statements.

4. What are the class sizes like at UofT and McMaster Engineering?

Both UofT and McMaster Engineering have large class sizes, especially in the first year. However, both universities offer smaller tutorial sessions and opportunities for one-on-one interactions with professors and teaching assistants.

5. What opportunities are there for co-op or internships at UofT and McMaster Engineering?

Both UofT and McMaster Engineering offer co-op and internship programs, giving students the chance to gain practical work experience during their studies. UofT has a larger co-op program, while McMaster Engineering has a higher percentage of students participating in internships.