Upon graduating high school, how long will it take to get a PhD in physics?

In summary, a PhD in theoretical physics can take anywhere from four to eight years depending on the country and the type of program you are applying to.
Kailford
I am in my last year of high school and I want to get a PhD in theoretical physics. I'd like to focus on quantum mechanics. There is a lot of information I am missing and I am not really educated on this topic. I think it is best that I learn a bit now. One big thing on my mind is, how long will it take, and what does it involve?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the US, four years for a bachelor's degree, then usually 5-7 years for the Ph.D. There's a thread "pinned" near the top of this forum titled "So You Want to Become a Physicist" or something close to that, with more details.

In Australia, four years for a bachelors, 3-3.5 years for the PhD. If you don't do well in undergrad, add another two years in-between for a masters.

In Europe, this is similar. (4 BSc + 2 MSc + 3-3.5 PhD)

This is pretty near the minimum time, you can always take longer (double degree, a semester overseas, etc. etc.)

I wouldn't say that is correct in Europe. In the UK you can do 3 years undergrad and then go straight through to phd for another 3-3.5. It's just much more common to do a combined 4years MPhys undergraduate degree.

So realistically you could do it in 6 years in the UK.

At each of my institutions the average for a PhD after the BS is between 7 and 8 years. Some people do take more than that, some less. Some did take over 10 years for the PhD alone. So 3-5 for a BS and 5-10 for a PhD for a total of 8 to 15 years after high school.

supersam said:
In the UK you can do 3 years undergrad and then go straight through to phd for another 3-3.5. It's just much more common to do a combined 4years MPhys undergraduate degree.

So realistically you could do it in 6 years in the UK.

In theory yes, but it is becoming increasingly unusual. You can start a PhD with "only" bachelors degree (3 years), but the PhD then tends to be extended to four years (which isn't entirely easy to do) and you will have to spend a few months doing relevant coursework This was the case for one of my current PhD students.
Hence, the norm is very much that you first do a four year degree; and finding a "normal" PhD position is certainly easier if you have done so and also managed to complete a good MSc project.

The (important) exception is that many universities in the UK have started running "US style" graduate programs (Centres for Doctoral Training); these are 4 years with the first year being a MSc year (which can be a bit annoying if you have already done a four year degree)

1. How long does it typically take to earn a PhD in physics after graduating high school?

The average time to complete a PhD in physics after graduating high school is typically around 5-6 years. However, this can vary depending on the individual's research progress and the specific requirements of their program.

2. Can I earn a PhD in physics directly after high school or do I need to complete a bachelor's degree first?

In most cases, it is necessary to complete a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field before pursuing a PhD in physics. This provides a foundation in the subject and prepares students for the rigorous research and coursework involved in a PhD program.

3. What factors can affect the time it takes to earn a PhD in physics?

Several factors can impact the time it takes to earn a PhD in physics, including the student's research progress, the complexity of their research topic, and the availability of resources and funding. Additionally, some students may choose to take breaks or pursue additional degrees during their PhD program, which can also affect the overall timeline.

4. Is it possible to earn a PhD in physics in less than 5 years?

While it is possible to complete a PhD in physics in less than 5 years, this is not the norm. In most cases, it takes at least 5 years of dedicated research, coursework, and writing to earn a PhD in physics. However, some students may be able to accelerate their timeline by completing coursework or research requirements ahead of schedule.

5. Are there any alternative paths to earning a PhD in physics after high school?

Yes, there are a few alternative paths to earning a PhD in physics after high school. Some students may choose to enter an accelerated bachelor's/master's program, which allows them to complete both degrees in a shorter timeframe. Others may take a gap year or work in a research lab before applying to a PhD program. There are also combined MD/PhD programs for students interested in pursuing both medical and research careers.