Upper division (300/400 level) vs lower division classes

In summary, the speaker is currently in community college and their Physics 3 class has lowered their overall physics GPA. They acknowledge that they could have studied harder, but the class average on exams is typically low. They expect to have better physics instructors at their next school and they are wondering if graduate schools care about lower division classes when applying for a PhD. They also mention the importance of letters of recommendation and scholarships in the grad school admission process.
amor_mundi
In community college right now and Physics 3 (electricity and magnetism) has crushed my physics GPA. Phys 1/2 was a 3.9/3.8 and this quarter is likely to be a 3.5.

I could have studied harder and I could have done more to get a higher grade, but I should probably say the class average on exams is often around 50-60% and I usually hover around 90%.

I expect (know) my next school (the four year) will have better physics instructors with more realistic expectations.

What I want to know is, do graduate schools care much about lower division classes when you apply for a PhD from undergraduate? The school I will apply to after my BSc has a direct entry for undergraduates.

Thank you for your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the school. Also, grad school entry often has a big weighting on a letter of recommendation. Check with your possible grad schools what their admission process requires and looks at.

Also, it depends on if you have any scholarship cash. If you come with some money many grad schools will be eager to take you. Find out what scholarships exist and be sure to apply for them. Many scholarships won't consider you if you do not apply. Check with the schools you are considering, and do some Google searches.

1. What is the main difference between upper division and lower division classes?

The main difference between upper division and lower division classes is the level of complexity and depth of the material covered. Lower division classes typically cover foundational concepts and are more broad in scope, while upper division classes focus on advanced and specialized topics within a specific field of study.

2. How do the expectations and workload differ between upper division and lower division classes?

The expectations and workload in upper division classes are typically higher than in lower division classes. This is because upper division classes require a deeper understanding of the subject matter and often involve more independent research and critical thinking.

3. Do upper division classes have smaller class sizes compared to lower division classes?

It is common for upper division classes to have smaller class sizes compared to lower division classes. This is because upper division classes are usually more specialized and may not be required for all students, resulting in fewer students enrolling.

4. Are upper division classes more beneficial for my future career compared to lower division classes?

Both upper division and lower division classes can be beneficial for your future career. Lower division classes provide a strong foundation of knowledge and skills, while upper division classes allow you to specialize and gain in-depth knowledge in a specific area of study.

5. Can I take upper division classes without completing lower division classes?

It depends on the specific university and program requirements. Some upper division classes may have prerequisite courses that must be completed before enrollment. It is important to check with your academic advisor to determine if you are eligible to take upper division classes without completing lower division classes.