1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper division (300/400 level) vs lower division classes

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    In community college right now and Physics 3 (electricity and magnetism) has crushed my physics GPA. Phys 1/2 was a 3.9/3.8 and this quarter is likely to be a 3.5.

I could have studied harder and I could have done more to get a higher grade, but I should probably say the class average on exams is often around 50-60% and I usually hover around 90%.

I expect (know) my next school (the four year) will have better physics instructors with more realistic expectations.

What I want to know is, do graduate schools care much about lower division classes when you apply for a PhD from undergraduate? The school I will apply to after my BSc has a direct entry for undergraduates.

Thank you for your comments.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on the school. Also, grad school entry often has a big weighting on a letter of recommendation. Check with your possible grad schools what their admission process requires and looks at.

Also, it depends on if you have any scholarship cash. If you come with some money many grad schools will be eager to take you. Find out what scholarships exist and be sure to apply for them. Many scholarships won't consider you if you do not apply. Check with the schools you are considering, and do some Google searches.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook