russ_watters said:
Regardless of what the law actually says (what the USSC rules), I think it should say that once you buy it, you own it and can resell it if you want.
Then someone could completely exploit the companies that originally published those books.
International editions are notoriously cheaper, and someone could make a profit by buying the international editions and selling them off to unknowing students in the U.S. for prices higher than what they themselves paid.
... For example, a student could get away (well, almost get away) with making upwards of $40,000 merely because a company decided to make their textbooks cheaper for Pakistani children.
Now, I'm all for buying international textbooks, because the textbooks in the U.S. are far too expensive for any money conscious person, but the lawsuit filed against him is entirely justified. There are some instances where copyright laws cannot, and should not, be as simple as "well, he bought it, and he can do whatever he wants with it now."
This isn't to say that I would be devasted, or entirely against a ruling in favor of him, but publishing companies ought to have some sort of protection from people trying to exploit their international editions. This seems to be a relatively new scenario, because as far as I know, there aren't many situations where a company sells their product regularly for half as much (or less) as they do elsewhere, without actively regulating where the product goes.