• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove

Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove [itex]

0<(1+1/n)^n<3 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I started by..

[itex]
\sum ^{n}_{k=0} (n!/(n-k)! k!) a^{n-k}b^{k}[/itex]

[itex]= n!/(n-k)!k! (1)^{n-k} (1/n)^{k} [/itex] for [itex]n \in Z^{+} [/itex]

so...

[itex] 1^{n-k} =1 [/itex](since [itex] 1^{l} =1[/itex] for any [itex] l \in R [/itex])

and...

([itex](1/n)^{k} \leq1 [/itex] (Since [itex] 1/n \leq1[/itex] for any [itex] n \in Z^{+} [/itex], so from reasoning above [itex] (1/n)^{k} \leq1 [/itex] and any [itex] x \in R [/itex] such that [itex] 0<x\leq1[/itex] then any power [itex]k\geq0 [/itex] of [itex]x[/itex] is going to be [itex]\leq 1[/itex])

But I really dont understand where to go from here do try exhaustion of cases for [itex] n, k [/itex] but that does not seem appropriate since [itex]n,k[/itex] have no boundaries other than[itex] \geq0[/itex] respectively.

Please help!!

Last edited:
Re: Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove!!!

It is easy to prove that (1+1/n)n approaches e as n goes to infinity using L'Hôpital's rule.
If you have to do it with binomial expansion, it's more tricky.
What are "appropriate inequalities" ? I assume you've covered some in class/book ?

Here's a proof. It should be obvious that [itex]\binom {n} {k} \leq \frac{n^k}{k!}[/itex] thus the series you have is not greater than [itex]\sum \frac{1}{k!} = e[/itex]. This comes from Taylor series of ex when x = 1. I don't know how to prove it without them, though.

It is easy to prove that (1+1/n)n approaches e as n goes to infinity using L'Hôpital's rule.
If you have to do it with binomial expansion, it's more tricky.
What are "appropriate inequalities" ? I assume you've covered some in class/book ?

Here's a proof. It should be obvious that [itex]\binom {n} {k} \leq \frac{n^k}{k!}[/itex] thus the series you have is not greater than [itex]\sum \frac{1}{k!} = e[/itex]. This comes from Taylor series of ex when x = 1. I don't know how to prove it without them, though.
I dont think I have covered taylor series yet, maybe I better look into that. Thanks!!

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

I dont think I have covered taylor series yet, maybe I better look into that. Thanks!!
I think the comparison they want you to make is that 1+1+1/2!+1/3!+1/4!+... <= 1+1+1/2+1/(2*2)+1/(2*2*2)+...

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving