1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove [itex]

0<(1+1/n)^n<3 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I started by..

[itex]
    \sum ^{n}_{k=0} (n!/(n-k)! k!) a^{n-k}b^{k}[/itex]

[itex]= n!/(n-k)!k! (1)^{n-k} (1/n)^{k} [/itex] for [itex]n \in Z^{+} [/itex]

so...

[itex] 1^{n-k} =1 [/itex](since [itex] 1^{l} =1[/itex] for any [itex] l \in R [/itex])

and...

([itex](1/n)^{k} \leq1 [/itex] (Since [itex] 1/n \leq1[/itex] for any [itex] n \in Z^{+} [/itex], so from reasoning above [itex] (1/n)^{k} \leq1 [/itex] and any [itex] x \in R [/itex] such that [itex] 0<x\leq1[/itex] then any power [itex]k\geq0 [/itex] of [itex]x[/itex] is going to be [itex]\leq 1[/itex])

But I really dont understand where to go from here do try exhaustion of cases for [itex] n, k [/itex] but that does not seem appropriate since [itex]n,k[/itex] have no boundaries other than[itex] \geq0[/itex] respectively.

Please help!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
    Re: Use Binomial Theorem and appropriate inequalities to prove!!!

It is easy to prove that (1+1/n)n approaches e as n goes to infinity using L'Hôpital's rule.
    If you have to do it with binomial expansion, it's more tricky.
    What are "appropriate inequalities" ? I assume you've covered some in class/book ?

Here's a proof. It should be obvious that [itex]\binom {n} {k} \leq \frac{n^k}{k!}[/itex] thus the series you have is not greater than [itex]\sum \frac{1}{k!} = e[/itex]. This comes from Taylor series of ex when x = 1. I don't know how to prove it without them, though.

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3

I dont think I have covered taylor series yet, maybe I better look into that. Thanks!!

5. Apr 21, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the comparison they want you to make is that 1+1+1/2!+1/3!+1/4!+... <= 1+1+1/2+1/(2*2)+1/(2*2*2)+...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook