Use Conservation of Momentum or Conservation of KE for spring problem

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, A and B, on a frictionless table. Block A has a mass of 13kg and is moving to the right while Block B has a mass of 1kg and is moving to the left. Block B has a spring attached to it on its left side, which will hit Block A. The question is which of the following is the same for both blocks after the collision: speed, velocity, acceleration, KE, or magnitude of momentum. The equations of conservation of momentum and energy are applicable to this problem. After eliminating choices 1-3, it is determined that both KE and momentum are not the same for both blocks. The correct answer is acceleration, as the forces acting on
brainyasian

Homework Statement

Block A with mass 13kg is moving right on a frictionless table. Block B with mass 1kg is moving left. Block B has a spring on its left side, the side that will hit Block A. THe question is: Which is the same for both after the collision?
1. speed
2. velocity
3. acceleration
4. KE
5. magnitude of momentum

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
Conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I eliminated choices 1-3, but I don't know if you use the conservation of momentum or the conservation of energy for this problem. I know that the collision has to be elastic to use CoE but I know you can always use conservation of momentum. So, which one is the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
An ideal spring will provide a perfectly elastic collision. Sure, the collision will "occur" over some small period of time and distance that is longer than it would be for a pair of infinitely "stiff" blocks, but it will still be elastic.

So you should ask yourself the same question assuming that a perfectly elastic collision just occurred.

But I was pretty sure it was elastic. But wouln't that mean that both KE and momentum are the same?

brainyasian said:
But I was pretty sure it was elastic. But wouln't that mean that both KE and momentum are the same?

The totals, yes (conservation laws). But they are asking what is the same for both.

gneill said:
The totals, yes (conservation laws). But they are asking what is the same for both.

Exactly, so wouldn't both KE and momentum be the same ? But there's only one right answer.

Here's the problem.

Attachments

• 1214011024b.jpg
    1214011024b.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 408
brainyasian said:
Exactly, so wouldn't both KE and momentum be the same ? But there's only one right answer.

No. The blocks will have different KE and momentum. 0.5m1v12 will not equal 0.5 m2v22, and m1v1 will not equal m2v2.

brainyasian said:
Here's the problem.

That is a different problem! The spring connection is permanent in this one. In the problem you posed, the spring was attached only to the second block.

gneill said:
That is a different problem! The spring connection is permanent in this one. In the problem you posed, the spring was attached only to the second block.

I'm sorry, I mixed up two problems. But in the problem I gave, wouldn't KE and momentum both be the same?

brainyasian said:
I'm sorry, I mixed up two problems. But in the problem I gave, wouldn't KE and momentum both be the same?

No, the blocks have different masses and different velocities (both before and after the collision).

Conservation laws apply to TOTALS for a given system, not individual elements of the system.

gneill said:
No, the blocks have different masses and different velocities (both before and after the collision).

Conservation laws apply to TOTALS for a given system, not individual elements of the system.

But then velocity and acceleration can't be the same.

brainyasian said:
But then velocity and acceleration can't be the same.

Well the velocities probably won't be the same (you can calculate the final velocities if you wish to do the collision math). But why do you say the accelerations can't be the same? What forces are acting on the blocks AFTER the collision?

gneill said:
Well the velocities probably won't be the same (you can calculate the final velocities if you wish to do the collision math). But why do you say the accelerations can't be the same? What forces are acting on the blocks AFTER the collision?

isn't this the same principle as two people on a frictionless surface pushing each other apart? I still think it's momentum. Can you please explain using formulas why it's acceleration? I would think that acceleration for the larger mass would be less.

brainyasian said:
isn't this the same principle as two people on a frictionless surface pushing each other apart? I still think it's momentum. Can you please explain using formulas why it's acceleration? I would think that acceleration for the larger mass would be less.

AFTER the collision is complete, what are the forces acting on each block?

gneill said:
AFTER the collision is complete, what are the forces acting on each block?

just the force of the spring. I'm now wondering if this has to do with Center of Mass. We haven't covered that yet though, so I don't know.

brainyasian said:
just the force of the spring. I'm now wondering if this has to do with Center of Mass. We haven't covered that yet though, so I don't know.

:confused: I thought that the spring was only connected to block B? The problem didn't say anything about the spring sticking to block A during the collision.

Are you mixing up two different problems again?

gneill said:
:confused: I thought that the spring was only connected to block B? The problem didn't say anything about the spring sticking to block A during the collision.

Are you mixing up two different problems again?

Oh, I'm sorry. To clear it all up, it's all in the image. it's stuck to both blocks and when the blocks are pulled apart, they contract

brainyasian said:
Oh, I'm sorry. To clear it all up, it's all in the image. it's stuck to both blocks and when the blocks are pulled apart, they contract

You have two separate threads (with the same title) with two different problem statements. The problems statements are not the same. The original post in this thread stated that the spring was connected only to block B. Is this a separate problem or are you running two threads for the same problem?

We cannot help you solve a problem unless the problem statement is clear and consistent. Please choose one scenario per thread and stick to it, or choose one thread and abandon the other.

gneill said:
You have two separate threads (with the same title) with two different problem statements. The problems statements are not the same. The original post in this thread stated that the spring was connected only to block B. Is this a separate problem or are you running two threads for the same problem?

We cannot help you solve a problem unless the problem statement is clear and consistent. Please choose one scenario per thread and stick to it, or choose one thread and abandon the other.

Very well, go to this link for the problem. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3669539#post3669539

1. What is the conservation of momentum and how does it apply to spring problems?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless an external force acts on it. In the case of spring problems, this means that the total momentum of the system before and after the spring is compressed or stretched will remain the same.

2. How is the conservation of kinetic energy related to spring problems?

The conservation of kinetic energy is another fundamental principle in physics that states that the total kinetic energy of a system remains constant unless an external force acts on it. In the case of spring problems, this means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the spring is compressed or stretched will remain the same.

3. Can the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy be used interchangeably in spring problems?

No, the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy are two separate principles that apply to different aspects of a system. While they may both apply to spring problems, they cannot be used interchangeably.

4. What are the assumptions made when using the conservation of momentum or conservation of kinetic energy in spring problems?

When using these principles in spring problems, it is assumed that there are no external forces acting on the system besides the spring itself. This means that friction, air resistance, and other external forces are not taken into account.

5. Are there any limitations to using the conservation of momentum or conservation of kinetic energy in spring problems?

Yes, these principles are only applicable to systems where no external forces act on the system besides the spring. If external forces are present, then these principles cannot be applied accurately and other methods must be used to solve the problem.