Use exponential notation to form a+ib

In summary: That is correct. In summary, the exponential notation of (√3-i)(1+i√3) in the form a+ib is 4√3+2i.
thatguythere

Homework Statement

Use exponential notation to write (√3-i)(1+i√3) in the form a+ib.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let (√3-i) = z1
r1=|z1|=√((√3)2-i2)
=√(3-1)
=√2

Therefore,
√3=√2cosθ and -1=√2sinθ
cosθ = √3/√2 and sinθ = -1/√2

θ= arcsin(-1/√2)
θ= -∏/4

z1 = √2(cos(-∏/4)+isin(-∏/4))

Let (1+i√3) = z2
r2 = |z2| = √(12+(i√3)2)
= √(1+(1(3)) <-- I am very uncertain about this step
= √4
= 2

Therefore
1 = 2cosθ and 3 = 2sinθ
cosθ = 1/2 and sinθ = 3/2

However,
θ=arcsin(3/2) does not compute which leads me to believe that (i√3)2 = 3 is incorrect. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
thatguythere said:

Homework Statement

Use exponential notation to write (√3-i)(1+i√3) in the form a+ib.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let (√3-i) = z1
r1=|z1|=√((√3)2-i2)
=√(3-1)
=√2

Therefore,
√3=√2cosθ and -1=√2sinθ
cosθ = √3/√2 and sinθ = -1/√2

θ= arcsin(-1/√2)
θ= -∏/4

z1 = √2(cos(-∏/4)+isin(-∏/4))

Let (1+i√3) = z2
r2 = |z2| = √(12+(i√3)2)
= √(1+(1(3)) <-- I am very uncertain about this step
= √4
= 2

Therefore
1 = 2cosθ and 3 = 2sinθ
cosθ = 1/2 and sinθ = 3/2

However,
θ=arcsin(3/2) does not compute which leads me to believe that (i√3)2 = 3 is incorrect. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
What is i2 ?

i2 = -1
However if I plug that in, I get this.
r2 = |z2| = √(12+(i√3)2}
= √(1+(-1(3))
= √-2
Which still does not compute.

thatguythere said:
i2 = -1
However if I plug that in, I get this.
r2 = |z2| = √(12+(i√3)2}
= √(1+(-1(3))
= √-2
Which still does not compute.

|a+bi|=sqrt(a^2+b^2).

Ah, right. This leads me to another question. Do I use the "1" from i and eliminate the sqrt3, or treat it as (sqrt3)i and use the resulting 3? I would guess the latter.

thatguythere said:
Ah, right. This leads me to another question. Do I use the "1" from i and eliminate the sqrt3, or treat it as (sqrt3)i and use the resulting 3? I would guess the latter.

I'm not sure what you are asking. If z2=1+i*sqrt(3) then a=1 and b=sqrt(3). sqrt(a^2+b^2)=sqrt(1+3)=2.

That is what I was asking and what I thought. Thank you. Now let's see if I can wrestle this into exponential form.

thatguythere said:
That is what I was asking and what I thought. Thank you. Now let's see if I can wrestle this into exponential form.

Good. Your probably know using exponential form is a complete waste of time, right? You could just multiply (√3-i)(1+i√3) out and be done with it. But if that's what the ask you to do then that's what you should do. It'll be easy to check your answer.

Well, the problem states "Use exponential notation to write (√3-i)(1+i√3) in the form a+ib." Have I been wasting my time?

thatguythere said:
Well, the problem states "Use exponential notation to write (√3-i)(1+i√3) in the form a+ib." Have I been wasting my time?

Not if the problem forces you to do it that way. I'm just saying you can easily check your answer by doing it the simple way.

z1 = √2{cos(-∏/4)+isin(-∏/4)} = √2ei(-∏/4)

z2 = 2{cos∏/3+isin∏/3) = 2ei∏/3

z1z2 = 2√2ei(-∏/4)+i∏/3
=2√2ei∏/12

So far so good?

thatguythere said:
z1 = √2{cos(-∏/4)+isin(-∏/4)} = √2ei(-∏/4)

z2 = 2{cos∏/3+isin∏/3) = 2ei∏/3

z1z2 = 2√2ei(-∏/4)+i∏/3
=2√2ei∏/12

So far so good?

z2=2*exp(i*pi/3), that's good. z1 isn't. You might be rehashing some of your old bad stuff into that one.

z1 = 2{cos11∏/6+isin11∏/6}
= 2ei11∏/6

thatguythere said:
z1 = 2{cos11∏/6+isin11∏/6}
= 2ei11∏/6

I would have said 2exp(-i*pi/6), but sure, that's the same as 2exp(i*11pi/6). Think you are almost there.

z1z2 = 2*2ei11∏/6+i∏/3
= 4ei13∏/6

4{cos13∏/6+isin13∏/6} Trig confuses me, so let's see.
4{-cos∏/6-isin∏/6}
4(-√3/2)-(i/2)
-2√3-2i

thatguythere said:
z1z2 = 2*2ei11∏/6+i∏/3
= 4ei13∏/6

4{cos13∏/6+isin13∏/6} Trig confuses me, so let's see.
4{-cos∏/6-isin∏/6}
4(-√3/2)-(i/2)
-2√3-2i

4*exp(13*pi/6) is correct. I guess trig does confuse you. cos(13*pi/6) isn't equal to -cos(pi/6). Why would you think that?

I don't know what I did there. Does it instead behave the same as ∏/6? Making my answer
2√3+2i?

thatguythere said:
I don't know what I did there. Does it instead behave the same as ∏/6? Making my answer
2√3+2i?

Sure, multiply out (√3-i)(1+i√3) to confirm that.

Thank you.

What is exponential notation and how is it used in complex numbers?

Exponential notation is a way of writing numbers in the form of a number raised to a power. In complex numbers, it is used to represent the imaginary unit, i, as i = √(-1). This allows for the representation of complex numbers in the form of a+ib, where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part.

How do you add or subtract complex numbers in exponential form?

To add or subtract complex numbers in exponential form, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (2+3i) + (4+5i) = (2+4) + (3+5)i = 6+8i.

Can you multiply or divide complex numbers in exponential form?

Yes, complex numbers in exponential form can be multiplied or divided by using the properties of exponents. To multiply, you multiply the numbers and add the exponents of i. To divide, you divide the numbers and subtract the exponents of i. For example, (2+3i) * (4+5i) = (2*4) + (3*5)i = 8+15i.

Why is exponential notation useful in representing complex numbers?

Exponential notation allows for a more concise and organized representation of complex numbers. It also allows for easier and more efficient calculations when performing operations on complex numbers.

Are there any other notations for representing complex numbers?

Yes, complex numbers can also be represented in polar form, using the magnitude and argument of the complex number. It is written as r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the argument. This form is useful when working with polar coordinates or when finding roots of complex numbers.