Use geometric series to find the Laurent series

So your Laurent series for part b should be:##f(z) = \frac{-1}{z-1} + 2 \cdot \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (z-1)^{-(n+1)} = \frac{-1}{z-1} + \displaystyle \sum_{-\infty}^{0} (z-1)^n##In summary, for the Laurent series of f(z) = z / (z - 1)(z - 2) in each annulus (a) Ann(1,0,1) and (b) Ann(1,1,∞), the geometric series were used to obtain the series representation.
Kiefer
Use geometric series to find the Laurent series for f (z) = z / (z - 1)(z - 2) in each annulus
(a) Ann(1,0,1)
(b) Ann(1,1,∞)

Ann(a,r,R)
a= center, r=smaller radius, R=larger radius
Ann(1,0,1)=D(1,1)\{0}

My attempt:
f(z)= -1/(z-1) + 2/(z-2)
geometric series: Σ[n=0 to inf] z^n - 1/2 Σ[n=0 to inf] (z/2)^n

a)0<|z-1|<1
2/(z-2)=-2(1/(2-z))=-2(1/(1-(z-1)))=-2Σ[n=0 to inf](z-1)^n
f(z)=-1/(z-1)-2Σ[n=0 to inf](z-1)^n=-(z-1)^(-1)+Σ[n=0 to inf]-2(z-1)^n

b)1<|z-1|<inf
(1/|z-1|)<1
-1/(z-1)=-Σ[n=0 to inf](1/(z-1))^n
2/(z-2)=2/(z-1-1)=2(1/(z-1))(1/(1-1/(z-1)))=2/(z-1)Σ[n=0 to inf](1/(z-1))^n=2Σ[n=0 to inf](z-1)^-(n+1)
f(z)=-Σ[n=0 to inf](1/(z-1))^n+Σ[n=-inf to -2]2(z-1)^-(n+1)

Are my geometric series correct? (I feel good about the second one but am unsure on the first)
Are my summation bounds in the Laurent series correct? I did something funky in the last one, so I'm not sure. Also, I wasn't sure how to find a Laurent series for -1/(z-1) in part a, so I left it as shown.
Any help and corrections are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For ##0<|z-1|<1##, I was able to only do half of it. I can't figure out the other piece unless it is supposed to be just like this.

So
$$
\frac{2}{z-2} = -2\frac{1}{1+1-z}=-2\frac{1}{1-(z-1)}=-2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(z-1)^n
$$
Then
$$
f(z) = \underbrace{\frac{-1}{z-1}}_{\text{this one is giving me trouble}} - 2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(z-1)^n
$$

For ##1<|z-1|<\infty##, again I could only figure out one piece of it.

So
$$
\frac{2}{z-2} = 2\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{z-1}}=2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{z-1}\right)^n
$$
Then
$$
f(z) = \frac{-1}{z-1}+2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{z-1}\right)^n
$$

I am not sure how we can contend for ##\frac{-1}{z-1}## in both a and b. Maybe it can be left as is and that is it.

Part a is correct. It's okay to have your series split up like that, you don't have to have a general formula for all of your ##C_n##.

Okay, part b. ##\frac{-1}{z-1} \neq \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{z-1}\right)^n##

Just leave that quantity as it was in part a).

Now for your second term.

##2 \cdot \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (z-1)^{-(n+1)} \neq 2 \cdot \sum_{-\infty}^{-2} (z-1)^{-(n+1)}##

I'm not sure how you got that. Remember that when you switch the limits of summation from positive to negative, the sign of only n changes. So,

##2 \cdot \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (z-1)^{-(n+1)} = \sum_{-\infty}^{0} (z-1)^{n-1}##

Now you can easily change that to ##(z-1)^n##.

Last edited:

What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. This results in a pattern of numbers that can be written as a sum using sigma notation.

What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of power series that includes both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is used to represent functions that have poles or branch points, which cannot be represented by a standard power series.

How do you find the Laurent series of a function?

To find the Laurent series of a function, you first need to determine the function's singularities (poles or branch points). Then, use the geometric series formula to expand the function into a series. Finally, use the coefficients of the series to determine the Laurent series.

What is the difference between a power series and a Laurent series?

A power series only includes positive powers of the variable, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. Additionally, a Laurent series is used to represent functions with singularities, while a power series is used to represent smooth functions.

Why is it useful to find the Laurent series of a function?

Finding the Laurent series of a function allows us to better understand its behavior near singularities. It also allows us to perform calculations and approximations that may not be possible with the original function. Laurent series are also important in complex analysis and have applications in physics and engineering.