Use L'Hopital's rule to calculate derivatives.

In summary: Yes, there are two limits in that equation. Use L'Hopital's rule to calculate the following limits.In summary, L'Hopital's rule is used to find limits when of the indeterminate forms such as {{0} \over {0} exist when you initially take a limit. The assignment you have is poorly written. Those are not derivatives you are calculating, they are limits.
rizzi143

Homework Statement

Use L'Hopital's rule to calculate the following derivatives.

Homework Equations

1. lim x-> pie/2 tan3x/tan5x

2. lim x->0 e^x - 1/sin x

3. lim x->1 e^x - e/In x

The Attempt at a Solution

i have attempted to solve the equations but differentiating the limits. but it seems i am not getting the right answer. the assignment is attached in the attachment. and it is question number 2 .

Attachments

• assign7.pdf
    130 KB · Views: 215
Physics news on Phys.org
Derivatives? These are just limits. Do you mean you need to use derivatives to calculate the limits?

Pengwuino said:
Derivatives? These are just limits. Do you mean you need to use derivatives to calculate the limits?

well i am bit confused with this L'Hopital's rule. as far i understand the we need to get the derivative of the limits.

L'Hopital's rule is used to find limits when of the indeterminate forms such as [tex]{{0} \over {0}[/tex] exist when you initially take a limit. The assignment you have is poorly written. Those are not derivatives you are calculating, they are limits.

Pengwuino said:
L'Hopital's rule is used to find limits when of the indeterminate forms such as [tex]{{0} \over {0}[/tex] exist when you initially take a limit. The assignment you have is poorly written. Those are not derivatives you are calculating, they are limits.

right. that makes sense. to me .. did you check out the attachment? and question number 2 in that?

rizzi143 said:
right. that makes sense. to me .. did you check out the attachment? and question number 2 in that?

Yes, they are limits. I don't know why it says to to evaluate the derivatives. To determine those limits, you have to USE derivatives when using L'Hopital's rule, but in the end you're finding limits

L'Hopital's rule states that, if [tex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex] is an indeterminate form (i.e. 0/0, inf/inf) then [tex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x \to c} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

So, you can take the derivative of the numerator and denominator, and if it is no longer an indeterminate form you can evaluate the limit. Otherwise, repeat until the limit is no longer an indeterminate form.

jhae2.718 said:
L'Hopital's rule states that, if [tex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex] is an indeterminate form (i.e. 0/0, inf/inf) then [tex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x \to c} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

So, you can take the derivative of the numerator and denominator, and if it is no longer an indeterminate form you can evaluate the limit. Otherwise, repeat until the limit is no longer an indeterminate form.

right. could you do first question for me to clarify.

I won't do one of your questions for you (they're for you to practice after all!), but here's an example of how to apply L'Hôpital's Rule:

Consider the limit:
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} x\ln{x}
[/tex]
This is an indeterminate form of type [itex]0 \cdot \infty[/itex], which means we can apply L'Hôpital's Rule.

First, we need to put it into the correct form of the fraction of two functions:
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} x\ln{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\ln{x}}{\frac{1}{x}}
[/tex]
Take the derivatives of the numerator and denominator:
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\ln{x}}{\frac{1}{x}} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{(\ln{x})'}{(\frac{1}{x})'} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{-1}{x^2}}
[/tex]
This is no longer an indeterminate form, and simplifies to:
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 0} -x
[/tex]
This limit, of course, is 0.

rizzi143 said:
Use L'Hopital's rule to calculate the following derivatives.

Homework Equations

1. lim x-> pi/2 tan3x/tan5x

2. lim x->0 e^x - 1/sin x

3. lim x->1 e^x - e/In x
No doubt that's a typo & it should say: Use L'Hopital's rule to calculate the following limits.

I'll set-up the first:

[tex]\lim_{x\to\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\tan(3x)}{\tan(5x)}=\lim_{x\to\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\frac{d}{dx}\tan(3x)}{\frac{d}{dx}\tan(5x)}[/tex]

That's just a start. It will take some trig. and two more applications of L'Hopital.

1. What is L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, specifically when the limit of a fraction has a numerator and denominator that both approach zero or infinity. It was developed by French mathematician Guillaume de l'Hopital in the 17th century.

2. When should L'Hopital's rule be used?

L'Hopital's rule should only be used when evaluating a limit that is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It should not be used for limits that can be evaluated by direct substitution or other methods.

3. What is the process for using L'Hopital's rule?

The process for using L'Hopital's rule involves taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the fraction, then evaluating the limit again. If the limit is still in an indeterminate form, the process can be repeated until an answer is obtained.

4. Can L'Hopital's rule be used for all types of functions?

No, L'Hopital's rule can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable in the given interval. It also cannot be used for functions with discontinuities or infinite discontinuities.

5. Are there any limitations to L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are limitations to L'Hopital's rule. It cannot be used to evaluate limits at infinity or when the limit involves logarithmic or exponential functions. It also cannot be used when the limit is approaching a vertical asymptote.