Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of lactose and galatose in human with regarding to their solubility

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    I would like to know the use of lactose and galatose in human with regarding to their solubility.
    how does low solubility of lactose can be made good use on human?
    what are the uses of galactose for human other than making guma?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    Im not sure as to what the intent of your question is so maybe you can fill that part in. I remember refrences to lactose being used by some cells to control osmosis or rather to remove water by osmosis from other places, think it might have been the colon to dry out the fecal matter that was moving through it. Other wise they are both often used in breast milk by the body.

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    Lactose in found in milk. It is a di-saccharide (sugar ).Makes upto 2 to 8 percent of milk (by weight ).It is made up of glucose and galactose(monosaccarides).

https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2900290" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 25, 2010 #4

thanks for your reply.
    you said lactose can be used to control osmosis, is that also happen in kidney?
    what is the advantage of using lactose in breast milk with its low solubility property?
    how about the galactose? what is the use of galactose in human?

hope to hear from you soon.

6. Sep 26, 2010 #5
    Lactose is broken down in the intestine into its components glucose and galactose which are absorbed.

kidneys contain a number of substances and no. of complex mechanisms for its function .

In the wiki link the lactose is formed in the body and secreted in breast milk.
    All infants have the ability to break down this sugar - by the lactase enzyme secreted in the infants intestine.

galactose is another form of sugar which is can be converted to glucose in the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactose" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 28, 2010 #6
    Just posting that after searching in my libary and internetz all frigging weekend I havnt been able to back up my statement above and so I hearby withdraw it. Just wish I could remember the source cause in my head its clear as a bell. Oh well off to fall on my sword!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook