Solubility of Sodium nitrate and nitrite

• Thread starter Tas_T
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
Tas_T
Hi, I wonder if anyone can share some info in regards to the reliability of the data that's available on the internet about the solubility of NaNO3 and NaNO2.
Everything I've found so far seems to point towards the nitrate being slightly more soluble than the nitrite and yet, when trying to separate a mixture of the two it looks like the nitrate is always the first to crystalize out .
Yes , I have been tested the crystals after every crystallization and most definitely the nitrate is crushing out while the concentration of the nitrite in the mother liquor is increasing after each crystallization.
I'm a bit confused. If anyone could help would much appreciate it .

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Solubilities listed are for solutions containing a single compound, not a mixture, plus these are very highly concentrated solutions, with very high ionic strengths, so it is quite unlikely they will follow simple "linear" models.

As a rule of thumb - if the amount of dissolved substance is comparable with the amount of solvent (as in: not orders of magnitude lower) things are almost guaranteed to go awry.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and Tas_T
Thanks for the reply.
So, could it be that if the compounds have similar solubility the one with higher concentration is likely to stay in solution ? I mean at least to a point ?
Gotta test that thought . . .

Tas_T said:
So, could it be that if the compounds have similar solubility the one with higher concentration is likely to stay in solution ? I mean at least to a point ?

"Likely" is too strong a word, more like "anything can happen" (definitely including the case where the higher solubility compound doesn't crash out first).

Likes Tas_T

1. What is the solubility of sodium nitrate in water?

Sodium nitrate (NaNO3) is highly soluble in water. At 20°C, approximately 88 grams of sodium nitrate can dissolve in 100 grams of water. This solubility increases with temperature, reaching about 180 grams per 100 grams of water at 100°C.

2. How does temperature affect the solubility of sodium nitrate?

The solubility of sodium nitrate in water increases with temperature. For example, while 88 grams can dissolve in 100 grams of water at 20°C, this amount increases to around 180 grams at 100°C. This characteristic makes sodium nitrate useful in various temperature-dependent applications.

3. What is the solubility of sodium nitrite in water?

Sodium nitrite (NaNO2) is also highly soluble in water. At room temperature (about 25°C), around 84 grams of sodium nitrite can dissolve in 100 grams of water. Similar to sodium nitrate, its solubility increases with temperature.

4. How does the solubility of sodium nitrite change with temperature?

Like sodium nitrate, the solubility of sodium nitrite increases as the temperature rises. At 0°C, about 71.4 grams can dissolve in 100 grams of water, and this increases to about 160 grams at 100°C. This property is important for processes that require varying temperature conditions.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with dissolving sodium nitrate and nitrite in water?

While both sodium nitrate and nitrite are generally safe to handle and dissolve in water, they should be used with care due to their potential health risks. Both compounds can be toxic in high concentrations. Sodium nitrite, in particular, is more hazardous as it can form nitrosamines, which are potential carcinogens. Always use protective equipment and follow safety guidelines when handling these chemicals.