• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Use of quarks in chemistry

Homework Statement

Describe the use of quarks in chemistry.

Homework Equations

N/A (I think?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried searching, and can find plenty of information on what the quark is, but I can't find a thing on how it is used. I searched google, google scholars, youtube (hoping for a lecture), and not really sure where to turn to next. Could anybody help?

Edit - I watched a TED video on string theory, and although it doesn't seem to direct relate to chemistry, would this still be a valid response? According to the speaker it explains things like the mass of particles, gravity, electromagnetic forces, etc.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Will you use Newton's law of universal gravitation to describe hydrogen atom?

Er..I don't think so? From what I understand, the force of gravity acting upon most things is very minor compared to the other 3 fundamental forces. However, the TED speaker said there was 20+ things that string theory would reveal or at least confirm, do these have anything to do with chemistry?

Borek
Mentor
From what I understand, the force of gravity acting upon most things is very minor compared to the other 3 fundamental forces.
Very good.

Now, what is energy scale required to observe individual quarks?

What do you mean by observe individual quarks? I thought that was impossible, because quarks were confined within the baryon or meson? (I'm not really sure, that's just what I got out of reading a bit of "Introductory to Elementary Particles")

Borek
Mentor
You are right about quarks being confined - I don't mean isolating them, but observing - there are experiments where we can 'see' effects of the quark presence. What energies are required for that?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that, when using a particle accelerator, protons being collided would show distinct properties of the presence of quarks within the proton. I'm not even sure if that's right/relevant, it's just one of the many things I read today. But even if that is right, wouldn't that be more to do with a use in physics rather than chemistry?

Borek
Mentor
You are on the right track.

How do energies used in the particle accelerators compare to energies in chemistry?

I'm really not sure about what kinds of energies are used in particle accelerators. For Chemistry, all I can really think of is electrostatic attraction that occurs when there is an ionic bond (although my brain is pretty fried at this point, so I guarantee there's others I'm forgetting).