1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of quarks in chemistry

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Describe the use of quarks in chemistry.

2. Relevant equations

N/A (I think?)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried searching, and can find plenty of information on what the quark is, but I can't find a thing on how it is used. I searched google, google scholars, youtube (hoping for a lecture), and not really sure where to turn to next. Could anybody help?

Edit - I watched a TED video on string theory, and although it doesn't seem to direct relate to chemistry, would this still be a valid response? According to the speaker it explains things like the mass of particles, gravity, electromagnetic forces, etc.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Will you use Newton's law of universal gravitation to describe hydrogen atom?

4. May 24, 2009 #3
    Er..I don't think so? From what I understand, the force of gravity acting upon most things is very minor compared to the other 3 fundamental forces. However, the TED speaker said there was 20+ things that string theory would reveal or at least confirm, do these have anything to do with chemistry?

5. May 24, 2009 #4

Borek

Very good.

Now, what is energy scale required to observe individual quarks?

6. May 24, 2009 #5
    What do you mean by observe individual quarks? I thought that was impossible, because quarks were confined within the baryon or meson? (I'm not really sure, that's just what I got out of reading a bit of "Introductory to Elementary Particles")

7. May 24, 2009 #6

Borek

You are right about quarks being confined - I don't mean isolating them, but observing - there are experiments where we can 'see' effects of the quark presence. What energies are required for that?

8. May 24, 2009 #7
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that, when using a particle accelerator, protons being collided would show distinct properties of the presence of quarks within the proton. I'm not even sure if that's right/relevant, it's just one of the many things I read today. But even if that is right, wouldn't that be more to do with a use in physics rather than chemistry?

9. May 24, 2009 #8

Borek

You are on the right track.

How do energies used in the particle accelerators compare to energies in chemistry?

10. May 24, 2009 #9
    I'm really not sure about what kinds of energies are used in particle accelerators. For Chemistry, all I can really think of is electrostatic attraction that occurs when there is an ionic bond (although my brain is pretty fried at this point, so I guarantee there's others I'm forgetting).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook