Use separation of variables to find particular solutions

For example, if the constant is 0, X and T are both constants, X= C1, T= C2 so that u= C1C2. In summary, the equation can be solved by assuming a solution of the form u(x,t)= X(x)T(t), substituting that into the original equation, and then using separation of variables to obtain two independent ordinary differential equations.
Dragonfall
"Use separation of variables to find particular solutions of

[tex]u_t-u_{xx}-2u_x=0, 1<x<2, 0<t, u(1,t)=u(2,t)=0[/tex]

hint: change coordinates"

I can't find the solution. The equation seems already separated, so all I need to do is to find a change of variables, I think. But I can't find one that works.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking at it the wrong way.
It's not a change of variables that's wanted, but separation of variables.

Remember this ?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y}{x}[/tex]

separate the variables

[tex]\frac{dy}{y} = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

now integrate
[tex]\int\frac{dy}{y} = \int\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
[tex]ln(y) = ln(x) + c[/tex]

You are expected to do something similar.

First of all, you assume a solution of the form u(x,t) = f(x)g(t)
Now substitute that into your original pde and apply separation of variables.
You should end up with functions of x on one side of the equals sign and functions of t on the other side.
Since the lhs is a function of x and the rhs is a function of t, then the only way they (the two functions) can be equal to each other is to set them both equal to the same constant value. i.e. lhs = C and rhs = C
You now have two independent pdes, (in fact, now they are ode's) one in x and one in t, that you can solve separately.

Last edited:
Dragonfall said:
"Use separation of variables to find particular solutions of

[tex]u_t-u_{xx}-2u_x=0, 1<x<2, 0<t, u(1,t)=u(2,t)=0[/tex]

hint: change coordinates"

I can't find the solution. The equation seems already separated, so all I need to do is to find a change of variables, I think. But I can't find one that works.
Then you need to review what "separation of variables" means for partial differential equations.

Write u(x,t)= X(x)T(t). That is, X is a function of x only, T a function of t only. The the differential equation becomes
XT'- TX"- 2TX'= 0. Divide both sides by XT to get
[tex]\frac{T'}{T}- \frac{X"}{X}- \frac{2X'}{X}= 0[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{T'}{T}= \frac{X"- 2X'}{X}[/tex]
Since the left side depends on t only and the right side depends on x only the only way they can be equal (for all x and t) is if each side is a constant:
[tex]\frac{T'}{T}= \alpha[/tex]
so that [itex]T'= \alpha T[/itex]
and
[tex]\frac{X"- 2X'}= \alpha[/tex]
so that [itex]X"- 2X'= \alpha X[/itex]
where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some unknown constant. The general solution will typically be a sum of such things.

What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a method commonly used in solving differential equations. It involves separating the variables in the equation and solving each part individually to find a general solution.

When is separation of variables used?

Separation of variables is typically used when the differential equation can be expressed as a product of two functions, each involving only one variable. It is commonly used in physics and engineering problems.

How do you use separation of variables?

The first step in using separation of variables is to rewrite the differential equation in terms of two separate functions, each involving only one variable. Then, the equation can be solved by integrating each part separately and combining the solutions to find a general solution.

What are the advantages of using separation of variables?

One advantage of using separation of variables is that it can simplify complex differential equations and make them easier to solve. It can also allow for the solution to be expressed in terms of familiar functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions.

Are there any limitations to using separation of variables?

Yes, separation of variables can only be used for certain types of differential equations, specifically those that can be expressed as a product of two separate functions. It may also not work for more complicated equations with multiple variables or non-linear terms.