1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use the appropriate test to decide if they converge

1. May 23, 2006 #1
    Use the appropriate test to decide whether the following serie converges or not:

[tex]\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{3n^2 - 2n +1}{2n^2 + 5}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2006 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Try the n-th term test for divergence.

4. May 23, 2006 #3
    What about these ones:

b) [tex]\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{3n^2 - 2n + 1}{2n^4 + 5}[/tex]

c) [tex]\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{n^3 4^n}{3(n!)}[/tex]

d) [tex]\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{2 + 3 sin~n}{5n^2 + 2}[/tex]

5. May 23, 2006 #4

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

When you look at b, you should see that for large n it behaves like [itex]\frac{1}{2n^2}[/itex]. What test will let you use that fact?

c) is pretty straght foward. When you see everything in with powers and factorials you should think of the comparison test or the root test.

d)Similar to b). The sin basically has no effect because the series that this looks like converges absolutely.

6. May 23, 2006 #5
    For a) can I just say this series does not converge as a_n does not tend to zero as n --> infinity but to 2/3 instead.

I have never heard of this n-th term test. Could someone quickly do it for a) please, just so I can understand it. Much appreciated :-)

7. May 23, 2006 #6

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

The n-th term test can be used exactly like you said. If the terms in the sequence do not approach zero then the series can not converge. That is all you need to say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?