1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use the definition of convergence to prove that the lim (1/2)^n=0

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the definition of convergence to prove that lim n→∞ (1/2)^n=0

The definition of convergence says |a_n-L|<ε

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

As I understand it:

|(1/2)^n-0|<ε

|(1/2)|^n<ε

then I need to solve for n?

n>(ln(ε))/ln(|1/2|)

Then I choose N=(ln(ε))/ln(|1/2|) but I don't understand why.

n>N>(ln(ε))/ln(|1/2|)??

Given that ε>0 and n>N

then n>(ln(ε))/ln(|1/2|)

then solving for ε I get the statement

|(1/2)|^n<ε

from above. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The definition actually says quite a bit more than this, in part about at what point in the sequence this inequality is true.
    You don't need the absolute values, since 1/2 and (1/2)n are positive for all positive integers n.
    Let's back up a bit.
    You want to find a number N so that for a given ε > 0 and any n >= N, (1/2)n < ε.
    Take ln of both sides: n ln(1/2) < ln(ε)
    Divide both sides by ln(1/2), which is a negative number.
    n > ln(ε)/ln(1/2)

The direction of the inequality changed because we divided by a negative number, ln(ε).

Note that ε is typically a very small (i.e., much less than 1), but positive number, so ln(ε) < 0, which means that ln(ε)/ln(1/2) > 0. The smaller ε is, the larger this expression is.

Take N to be the next largest integer that is greater than ln(ε)/ln(1/2). Then for any number n >= N, (1/2)n < ε.

To see how this works it might be helpful to actually pick a number for ε, say ε = 0.01. Go through the same process as above to find an index N for which all of the terms in the sequence {(1/2)n} are smaller than ε.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook