Useful negation of a statement

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
In summary: You have a word, and you introduce a new word, and you say they mean the same thing.If that is useful, it is a statement only useful about the new word not the thing. Useful to someone who had never heard the second word. Limited usefulness because the formation of the word follows a generally known convention of the language for forming new words, so most people could get there anyway.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Find the useful negation of "X is finite". But you cannot use "not finite".

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused as to how to write "X is finite" in a more positive way. I thought I would have just written X is not finite but since we cannot do that I am at a loss.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the antonym "concept" of finite? That which is not finite may also be called _____________ (one word)

jim mcnamara said:
What is the antonym "concept" of finite? That which is not finite may also be called _____________ (one word)
Would it be infinite, since the antonym of finite is infinite?

"In-" is just the same thing as "not" so that won't do.

epenguin said:
"In-" is just the same thing as "not" so that won't do.

"infinite" is not the same sequence of characters as "not finite", and therefore an adequate answer.

pasmith said:
"infinite" is not the same sequence of characters as "not finite", and therefore an adequate answer.
Would the same thing in another language, say 'pas fini' also be an adequate answer?

I suppose at least you could say that was useful, for some people, which was part of the question.

But I thought the question was really asking for some additional concept.

Likes PeroK
@ver_mathstats said:
Would it be infinite, since the antonym of finite is infinite?

I believe infinite is what is intended as the answer. So, yes.

However I'm not clear on what @epenguin point is trying to make.

"I'm not clear on what @epenguin point is trying to make." jim-mcnamara.Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/useful-negation-of-a-statement.968671/#post-6151458
My point that just saying another word is not adding anything of substance, therefore not really useful as the question asked.
You have a word, and you introduce a new word, and you say they mean the same thing.If that is useful, it is a statement only useful about the new word not the thing. Useful to someone who had never heard the second word. Limited usefulness because the formation of the word follows a generally known convention of the language for forming new words, so most people could get there anyway.

I thought, well I know, we all know, what finite means... er, do we? I mean it is one thing to be able to easily recognise examples, another to say how, what the definition is. Better brush it up. E.g. here - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_set . Yes that is what I thought it was, at first, further down it gets complicated. But at least this seems to offer a way. The indication of how to decide whether something is finite or not, that is what I would think can get us to a useful definition.

That could be enough to be going on with.

(Then since we are into very fundamental but yet very theoretical things, I have allowed a certain Wildberger to sow some reservations in my mind about the 'in principle' mentioned in the second sentence of that link. I understand him to say that there "are" finite numbers that not only you couldn't count in practice but in principle you couldn't count in practice, there can be no way to even name them, therefore they, and perhaps the definition, don't mean anything. But I believe his are minority opinions and anyway this is well beyond my normal scientific range and competences so just sayin'.)

Last edited:
ver_mathstats said:
I am very confused as to how to write "X is finite" in a more positive way. I thought I would have just written X is not finite but since we cannot do that I am at a loss.

Thank you.

Well, you have to think. How do you know a set is finite? How do you test it?

What if you had a set defined in some way that it was not immediately obvious whether it was finite or infinite? How would you show the set is finite or infinite?

At the very least you should be able to give a definition of what it means to be a finite set.

"Infinite" is not a valid answer. You are asked for some mathematical thinking here.

1. What is "useful negation of a statement"?

"Useful negation of a statement" is a logical concept that involves taking a statement and finding a way to rephrase it in a way that is still true, but also provides useful information. It is often used in scientific research to help clarify or expand upon a hypothesis or theory.

2. How is "useful negation of a statement" different from regular negation?

Regular negation simply involves stating the opposite of a statement, while "useful negation" goes a step further by providing additional information or context. Regular negation may simply deny or contradict a statement, while useful negation can offer a new perspective or angle.

3. Can you provide an example of "useful negation of a statement" in a scientific context?

Sure, let's say a scientist is studying the effects of a new medication on a certain disease. The statement "The medication is effective in treating the disease" can be negated to "The medication is not effective in treating the disease" which simply denies the initial statement. However, a useful negation could be "The medication is effective in treating the disease, but only in certain patients with specific genetic markers." This provides additional information and context that can help guide future research.

4. Why is "useful negation of a statement" important in scientific research?

Useful negation of a statement allows for a more nuanced understanding of a concept or hypothesis. It can help identify limitations or exceptions to a general statement, and can also lead to new insights and discoveries. It encourages critical thinking and can help scientists avoid making broad, sweeping conclusions.

5. Is "useful negation of a statement" applicable to all fields of science?

Yes, "useful negation of a statement" is a universal concept that can be applied to any field of science. It is a fundamental part of the scientific method and is used in various ways to refine and expand upon theories and hypotheses.