Understanding the Statement Circled in Red: Solving a Problem

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, but if the teacher says "as x approaches negative infinity", as he did, that takes care of itself.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1676692240288.png

The solution is
1676692285706.png

However, I don't understand the statement circled in red. I don't understand why ## x = - \sqrt{x^2}##? They did not explained why.

I remember a year ago a calculus teacher showed me how to solve this type of problem. They divided the numerator by ##\sqrt{(-x)^2} = \sqrt{(x)^2}## and the denominator by ##-x##. I don't know why you have to divide by negative x for x approaches negative infinity, but this method works and give me the same result as the books method.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that this is the case where ## x\lt 0##. Therefore, ##-x## is positive and ##-x = |x| = \sqrt{x^2}##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
Remember that this is the case where ## x\lt 0##. Therefore, ##-x## is positive and ##-x = |x| = \sqrt{x^2}##.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker!

I think I understand now :)

Callumnc1 said:
I remember a year ago a calculus teacher showed me how to solve this type of problem. They divided the numerator by ##\sqrt{(-x)^2} = \sqrt{(x)^2}## and the denominator by ##-x##.
You didn't say, but the teacher must have specified that x < 0. Otherwise ##\sqrt{(-x)^2} \ne -x##, so the fraction would essentially be multiplied by -1, which changes the value of the fraction.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Mark44 said:
You didn't say, but the teacher must have specified that x < 0. Otherwise ##\sqrt{(-x)^2} \ne -x##, so the fraction would essentially be multiplied by -1, which changes the value of the fraction.
Yes. The solution included in post #1 says "we must remember that for ##x \lt 0## ...".

Likes ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
Yes. The solution included in post #1 says "we must remember that for ##x \lt 0## ...".
I understand that, but I was responding to the part where the OP was remembering an event from a year ago. It wasn't stated that the teacher had specified then that x must be negative.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and FactChecker
Mark44 said:
Thank you for your replies @Mark44 and @FactChecker !

I think my teacher said divide by numerator and denominator by (-x)^n where n is the highest degree of the denominator for taking the limit as x approaches negative infinity.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
I think my teacher said divide by numerator and denominator by (-x)^n where n is the highest degree of the denominator for taking the limit as x approaches negative infinity.
That's not what my comment was about. For ##\sqrt{(-x)^2}## to be equal to -x, the teacher must have said that x < 0.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Mark44 said:
teacher must have said that x < 0.
Yes, but if the teacher says "as x approaches negative infinity", as he did, that takes care of itself.

Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What does it mean to "understand the statement circled in red"?

Understanding the statement circled in red refers to comprehending the problem or issue that has been highlighted or emphasized in a specific manner. It involves being able to interpret and analyze the statement in order to identify the key elements and potential solutions.

2. How do you solve a problem?

Solving a problem involves a systematic approach that includes identifying the problem, gathering information, analyzing the information, generating potential solutions, evaluating the solutions, and implementing the best solution. It also requires critical thinking, creativity, and the ability to adapt and adjust as needed.

3. Why is understanding the statement circled in red important in problem-solving?

Understanding the statement circled in red is important because it provides a clear focus and direction for problem-solving. It helps to define the problem and identify the key factors that need to be addressed. Without understanding the statement, it is difficult to effectively solve the problem.

4. Can understanding the statement circled in red lead to multiple solutions?

Yes, understanding the statement circled in red can lead to multiple solutions. This is because it allows for a deeper understanding of the problem, which can lead to different perspectives and approaches. It also allows for the consideration of various factors and potential solutions that may not have been initially apparent.

5. How can one improve their ability to understand the statement circled in red in problem-solving?

Improving the ability to understand the statement circled in red in problem-solving can be achieved through practice and developing critical thinking skills. It is also helpful to gather and analyze information from multiple sources and to consider different perspectives. Seeking feedback and being open to different approaches can also aid in improving this ability.