Uses of Topology: Learn What It Can Do

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 111111
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Topology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
111111
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
I am not a math student but I have read some basic stuff about topology just because it sounded interesting, and I was wondering if people could name some uses of it, because it does not seem to have very many.

Also on a related question, how often are new branches of mathematics "invented"; do you see any happening in the future or do they all seem to be discovered already?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Topology is essentially the study of limits and continuity which are of immense importance in calculus.

New branches of mathemtics are being "invented" all the time- of course, most of them are of no real interest. I think the jury is still out on "Fractals" or "Catastrophy theory" which were developed during the sixties and seventies.
 
Topology can be (and is) used in pretty much in any field of math.