Using 120V floodlights with batteries

• Thread starter snoop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, the person is trying to do a project in a remote area and needs bright lights. They have 4 car batteries and 2 tripod halogen worklights from Home Depot, each with a 500 watt power rating. They are wondering if they can hook up the batteries in series to power the AC lights, but are unsure of the potential effects on the lamps. The responder suggests using an inverter or a generator with a 120VAC output. The person mentions having a 400 watt inverter and asks if the halogen bulbs sold by the responder would fit in their existing lights or if they would need to buy new housing. They also mention the possibility of using automotive lights, such as Hella lights.
snoop
I am trying to do a project in a remote area but I need bright lights. I already have 4 car batteries and 2 tripod halogen worklights from home depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202066789/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053"). Each light is 500 watts so at 120 volts which would be 4.12 amps. Could I hook up these batteries in series to AC lights? I only need light for about 10 mins so I don't need that much juice. Any advice would great, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know what will happen if you apply DC to those lamps.
They do sell Halogen lamps with 12VDC ratings (automotive purposes). If you want to run 120V lamps, I would suggest an inverter, or a generator with a 120VAC output.

I do have an inverter however its only rated to 400watts. Would these bulbs that you sell fit in these lights or is it all new housing. I wouldn't mind buying new bulbs, I was just trying to be resourceful and use what I have.

i didnt even think of auto lights, slipped right passed me. I do have a bunch of hellas floating around the garage.

1. Can I use regular batteries with 120V floodlights?

It is not recommended to use regular batteries with 120V floodlights as they may not provide enough power to properly operate the floodlight. It is best to use rechargeable batteries specifically designed for high voltage devices.

2. How long do batteries typically last when using 120V floodlights?

The lifespan of batteries used with 120V floodlights will vary depending on the type and quality of the batteries, as well as the frequency and duration of use. On average, rechargeable batteries can last between 6-12 hours before needing to be recharged.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using 120V floodlights with batteries?

Yes, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and handling of the floodlights and batteries. Make sure to never mix different types or brands of batteries, and always store them in a cool, dry place when not in use.

4. Can I use a battery charger to charge the batteries while they are still in the floodlight?

No, it is not safe to charge batteries while they are still connected to the floodlight. It is best to remove the batteries and charge them separately using a compatible charger.

5. How can I extend the battery life of my 120V floodlights?

To extend the battery life of your 120V floodlights, make sure to fully charge the batteries before use and avoid using the floodlights on their highest settings for extended periods of time. Additionally, turn off the floodlights when not in use and store them in a cool, dry place to prevent draining the batteries unnecessarily.