Using a LM741 op-amp to amplify millivolt signals from a piezo hydrophone

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 7K views
Adder_Noir
Messages
239
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm currently making a hydrophone and I'm planning to use a piezo crystal as a sound receiver whose output I then intend to put through an op-amp. Berkeman recently raised an interesting point about voltage issues with op-amps so I thought I'd pose this question before proceeding any further.

I expect the signal to be of the order of millivolts and I want to turn it into something audible with headphones. Would a LM741 op-amp be okay for this or are it's limitations to severe? I'm guess I'd need a gain of about 1000 for it to work?

Can anyone help? Sorry to post yet another topic but why not take advantage of other people's expertise :wink:
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd recommend you use a TL082 for a microphone, probably is also avialable in radio shack. The chip is based of jfets which provide a very high input impedance, much higher than LM741. Also you get two opamp in this chip.
 
what said:
I'd recommend you use a TL082 for a microphone, probably is also avialable in radio shack. The chip is based of jfets which provide a very high input impedance, much higher than LM741. Also you get two opamp in this chip.

Thanks what :redface:
 
please shows me about LM741 or MA741.Thank You very much!