1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using acknowledgements in your CV

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1
    Hi all,
    I need some advice. I worked for some time doing research with a professor during my undergrad. Recently this work was published in a number of articles. I was not listed as an author but was acknowledged in all of them.

Now, considering I spent a lot of time working there and my work there is listed as experience in my CV, I wanted to include the fact that some publications came out of it.

Is that typically done? I've heard that it might actually hurt me because it might seem strange that I didn't actually get author. The thing is, this particular professor is known for not being very fair in giving credit to students.

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't see why you couldn't have a list entitled "Academic Acknowledgements"' in your CV. As long as it's clear that you're not claiming to be an author on something you're not, I doubt there would be a problem.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3
    Citing an acknowledgement at the end of a paper looks a bit desperate, in my opinion. Clearly, it would depend on the job in question but if somebody sent me a CV in which they were having to rely on acknowledgements as padding, I'd be inclined to throw it in the bin.

Either you're listed as one of the authors or you're not.

5. Jul 1, 2010 #4
    You could get a letter of recommendation from the prof.
    If he points out that you had helped and that you have an aptitude for research, that would help a lot, lot more your CV saying that you've been acknowledged.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook