1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I add a CV for this job or is my CV irrevelant and pretentious?

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    I am applying for a very simple job as a computer/library lab assistant. The job basically includes helping people with printing problems in the lbirary, opening up labs when possible .

An excerpt of the qualification requirements is

Candidates will have a strong commitment to service. They will be interested in improving their information, computer and technology skills. They must be able to work effectively in a complex team environment. Candidates must have good communication skills. Familiarity with the university's computer systems, learning technologies and websites are desirable.

The only document required is a cover letter, but I thought I might include a CV just to "improve" my chances

CV (template only) : http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2937/28689616.jpg [Broken]

Based on the description, would submitting my CV be hurtful? If possible could you also give me some opinion on my CV? Like is there anything awkward in the CV or things I should best leave out?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2
    Do it. You should never apply for a job without one.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As #2 said, there's nothing wrong with telling them what you have done - but maybe you don't need to give a university library links to two job descriptions for TA posts. They probably already know what TAs do. Always edit a CV to match the specific job you are applying for!

"Imterests - eating" looked a bit odd as well. I would either leave that out or make it more specific, if you are an "expert" on some particular aspect of food.

5. Sep 5, 2012 #4
    You're CV looks fine but your interests made me laugh. You may well be interested in eating but it looks wrong on a CV. Also the "helping others with homework" almost sounds like you are helping people cheat and there is a risk it may be read this way. I'd make that sound a bit more professional - informal tutoring or something like that might be better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook