1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using ampere's law with current density

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    K sorry for the bad drawing using paint...but anyways...so the question is :A long wire is in a conducting sheath and viewed from the top.The wire and the conducting sheath each carry opposite currents I into and out of the page with current density as J.The outer sheath has a radius of 2R and he inner wire has a radius of R from the centre.Calculate the magnetic field at the centre of the wire.

J=I/A->I=JA
    Taking the amperian loop as a circle of radius 2R
    A= pir^2....I1= pi (R^2)I and I2= 4pi(R^2)I
    therefore the net current wud be I2-I1 which is 3(pi)(R^2)
    then using ampere's law B(2(pi)r)=(mu)I -> B(2(pi)(2R))=3(pi)(R^2)
    And I get (3/4)(pi)R^2)J...but the answer is (1/2)(pi)R^2)J
    Can you please tell me wht I am doing wrong?Please help me quickly I have an AP C exam tomorrow and I want to make sure I knw how to use Ampere's law porperly.Thank You

Btw if possible can you explain to me wht exactly is happening...if there is a current going in one direction...how come the sheath carries a current in the opposite direction?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's very difficult to understand what you've written. Also, these questions should be posted in the homework section.

4. May 11, 2008 #3
    k sorry abt the homework section thing but can u please solve it for me.I have an AP exam tomorrow.Wht dont u understand...I will explain

5. May 11, 2008 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write out the question in its original form and draw a labeled diagram.

6. May 11, 2008 #5
    the problem is I dont have the question...the question was on the AP practise test which I cant bring home.So I am writing the question from memory.K I will make a labelled diagram.But basically the two circles u see is one with a radius of 4R(sheath) and smaller one with radius of R(wire).They both have current density of J.Find magnetic field at centre of wire.

7. May 11, 2008 #6
    hope this clarifies.here is a labelled diagram.Note:the diagram is being viewed from top.So your looking at the end of the wire from the top.

Attached Files:

8. May 11, 2008 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't make sense of it the way you're formulating it. Maybe you dont remember it correctly.

9. May 11, 2008 #8
    wht do u mean "formulating it"...yes the question isn't structured exactly the way it was...but the info is all the same...which part is confusing u?

10. May 11, 2008 #9
    wht abt the diagram...has it helped?

11. May 11, 2008 #10

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't see the diagram, it must be approved first. Maybe you can host it somewhere else and give me a link.

12. May 11, 2008 #11
    oh god...can I send it to ur e-mail?I dunno anywhere where I can host it....

13. May 11, 2008 #12

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

14. May 11, 2008 #13
  15. May 11, 2008 #14

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nope, I'm sorry I'm unable to understand it. Maybe some one else here will be able to help you.

16. May 11, 2008 #15
    there is no one else communicating with me.wht exactly cant u get?

17. May 11, 2008 #16
    look there is juz a current going out of the page and into the page basically and the wire is a staright long one.

18. May 11, 2008 #17

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In that case, if you consider a small circular loop of radius r around the axis as the path of integration, you will get [tex] B = 2\mu_{0} J r [/tex]. As r goes to zero, B goes to zero. So, at the centre of the wire B should be zero. But you said the correct answer was something else.

19. May 11, 2008 #18
    But u havent considered the current in the sheath.I think the loop has to be 4R not just R.

20. May 11, 2008 #19

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You asked for the magnetic field at the centre of the wire. No matter what you choose the initial radius as, when you take the limit of r going to zero, B will go to zero.

21. May 11, 2008 #20
    oh yeah u r right...it shud be zero_Oh wait I think the question was whts the magnetic field on the surface of the sheath.sorry abt tht.:blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?