Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Arduino as a Logic Switch

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

I want to supply some LED's and a motor from an outside source of electricity (i.e. a battery pack, wall outlet, batteries in series, etc.) and want to use the Arduino to be able to "switch" on and off these sources so that I am able to control long strands of LED's with the Arduino (for like a steam punk costume for example and stuff), how would I do that?

Would I use a logic gate, if so, I'm pretty new to circuits, how would I use it? What amps, or voltage or what I am so confused :H

Or is there something way easier like electric switches or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

There's a website called www.adafruit.com that supplies these kinds of electronics parts included LED ribbons for clothing...

You might not need an Arduino which would entail some programming work.

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

I like working with the Arduino though, and really want to use the Arduino as a logic gate as I still want some of the sensors through it to control a matrix I have hooked up to it. I am going to later get a raspberry pi but I want to see the potential that Arduino has, also I want to later use it to power things besides LED's like electric motors which will require juice coming from an outside source.

Know what I mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook