1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using calculus to model movement of an object

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to use calculus to analyze the following puzzle. I already know the answer to the puzzle -200Km.
    What I want to be able to do is to model or calculate distance the fly travels in a particular sweep. See the attached Excel file to better understand what I mean.

I feel that Calculus might help me in modeling the movement of the fly, but not sure. How should I go about doing this?

Puzzle:
    Two trains are 200 km apart, and travelling towards each other at 100 km/hour each. From train A a fly takes off, flying straight above the rails to train B at the speed of 200km/hour, bounces off it and flies back to train A. This is repeated till the trains crash together and the fly is smashed. How much distance does the fly cover?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Thanks a lot Filip.

That is exactly what I was looking for!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook