Total Distance Traveled by Bird Before Train Collision?

In summary, the two trains are traveling towards each other at a speed of 25 km/h and a bird flying at 60 km/h starts from one train when they are 57 km apart and flies towards the other train. The bird continuously flies back and forth between the two trains until they collide. The total distance the bird travels is 68.4 km, which is the distance it covers in 1.14 hours. The method of flying in a straight line or a crooked path at a constant speed does not affect the total distance traveled.
libertyforall

Homework Statement

Two trains, each having a speed of 25 km/h, are headed at each other on the same straight track. A bird that can fly 60 km/h flies off the front of one train when they are 57 km apart and heads directly for the other train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train, and so forth. (We have no idea why a bird would behave in this way.) What is the total distance the bird travels before the trains collide?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stumped on this one. I think I need to add the velocities since the trains are headed in the same direction but I am confused on determining when the bird will reach the other train. It also seems like there is an infinite number of returns that will get smaller and smaller and I am unclear If I need to apply some calculus to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the trains ever collide if they're traveling at the same speed? lol

They are headed at each other on the same track. Of course there displacement will be different since one will be negative.

Oh didn't read that, well I would do v=d/t to get 50=57/t, t=1.14 hours (total time the trains will move before colliding).
Then you have the time the bird will be traveling, the velocity it's traveling at, so you need to find the distance, so again v=d/t.. I think that helps :p

iRaid said:
Oh didn't read that, well I would do v=d/t to get 50=57/t, t=1.14 hours (total time the trains will move before colliding).
Then you have the time the bird will be traveling, the velocity it's traveling at, so you need to find the distance, so again v=d/t.. I think that helps :p

Does this mean that all that is required is to calculate the distance the bird flies for 1.14 hours (68.4 km) ?

But I think it is a little more complicated then that. The bird keeps flying back from train to train until the trains finally meet.

libertyforall said:
But I think it is a little more complicated then that. The bird keeps flying back from train to train until the trains finally meet.

What is the difference in total distance flown if the bird flies in a straight line at v m/s for one hour, or a crooked path at v m/s for one hour?

That's all you got to do it doesn't matter if you go left, up, down, right, your total distance traveled is the same.

1. What is the difference between distance and velocity?

Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled, while velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time.

2. How do you calculate distance traveled?

Distance traveled can be calculated by multiplying the average velocity by the time it took to travel that distance. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by finding the area under a velocity-time graph.

3. What is the SI unit for velocity?

The SI unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

4. How does distance affect velocity?

The distance traveled does not directly affect the velocity. However, the average velocity may change if the distance traveled is different or if the time taken to travel that distance is different.

5. Is velocity the same as speed?

No, velocity and speed are not the same. While speed only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion. Therefore, an object can have the same speed but different velocities if it is moving in different directions.