Train Physics, One dimensional Motion

In summary, two trains, each traveling at a speed of 30 miles per hour, are on a collision course with each other. A bird flying at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour flies back and forth between the trains until they crash. The bird makes an infinite number of trips, but travels a total distance of 60 miles before the trains collide after 1 hour.
johndom33

Homework Statement

Two trains, each having a speed of 30 miles/hr, are headed at
each other on the same straight track. A bird that can fly 60 miles/hr flies
off one train when they are 60 miles apart and heads directly for the other
train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train
and so forth. (a) How many trips can the bird make form one train to the
other before they crash? (b) What is the total distance the bird travels?

Homework Equations

x=xi+vxt

The Attempt at a Solution

I know part b is 60 miles as the bird is flying at a constant 60mph until the trains crash, at one hour.
Part a is what is getting me, though I am thinking that it is technically an infinite number of trips as the bird always reaches the other train 2/3 of the way between the two, eventually making trips of minuscule distances. The whole reducing objects to a single point and all. Even if I started calculating the position of the trains after each trip the bird makes I would enter into limit territory, where the trains never collide, the just get closer and closer.

Am I just way over thinking this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in that the number of trips is infinite. However, the distance the bird travels is finite. To find that distance you need to multiply the bird's speed by the time it's flying. So how long has the bird been flying?

The bird has flown a total of 60 miles, the trains crash after 1 hour, found by giving each train a position equation: X=X0+vxt, so A=0+30t, B=60-30t, find A=B, 30t=60-30t, t=1hour, then Bird=0+60mph(1hour)= 60 miles.

Thank you for confirming the infinite trips, its been a while since i took physics in high school, and I wasn't sure how literal the prof. was talking.

1. What is train physics?

Train physics is the study of the physical principles that govern the motion and behavior of trains. This includes the forces that act on trains, such as gravity, friction, and air resistance, as well as concepts like momentum and energy.

2. What is one dimensional motion?

One dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object along a single axis or direction. In the context of trains, this can refer to the motion of the train along a straight track, without any lateral or vertical movement.

3. What are some factors that affect train motion?

Some factors that can affect train motion include the mass and weight of the train, the slope and curvature of the track, the power of the locomotive, and external forces like wind or friction from the tracks.

4. How is acceleration calculated for a train?

Acceleration for a train can be calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. This assumes that the train is moving at a constant acceleration.

5. How does braking work on a train?

Braking on a train involves applying a force that is opposite to the direction of motion, which creates a deceleration. This can be achieved using different methods, such as friction brakes, regenerative braking, or air brakes, depending on the type of train and track. The goal is to reduce the train's speed and bring it to a complete stop safely.