1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Derivative to give a general formula

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) Find dn/dxn (xn) for n = 1,2,3,4,5. Give the general formula

b) Give the general formula for dn+1/dxn+1 (xn)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) n = 1 : d/dx (x) = 1
    n = 2 :d2/dx2 (x2) = 2
    n = 3 :d3/dx3 (x3) = 6
    n = 4 :d4/dx4 (x4) = 24
    n = 5 :d5/dx5 (x5) = 120

Notice that there is a recurring pattern:
    1,2,6,24,120→ multiply the derivative of the previous term by the existing term (2 times 1 = 2, 3 times 2 = 6, 4 times 6 = 24, 5 times 24 = 120)

This is where i'm a little confused, i know what the pattern is and it is a bit hard to explain, however i wrote this out as the general formula:
    dn/dxn (xn) = n[dn-1/dxn-1 (xn-1)
    Would this be considered right? Or is the general formula suppose to be an arithmetic sequence or a geometric sequence?

b) dn+1/dxn+1 (xn+1)
    n = 1 :d2/dx2 (x1) = 0
    n = 2 :d3/dx3 (x2) = 0
    n = 3 :d4/dx4 (x3) = 0
    n = 4 :d5/dx5 (x4) = 0
    n = 5 :d6/dx6 (x5) = 0
    So then the general formula is:
    dn+1/dxn+1 (xn+1) = 0
    Once again is this correct or would there be another sequence equation for this like the last one. I am fairly sure that there is not much of an issue of a sequence formula for part b because it will always result in zero but for part a im confused as to if my equation is correct and if it is not, what would the general formula be? Thank you.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think everything you've said is right. In terms of writing a general formula, you might want to check out the definition of the 'factorial' function written "n!".

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The above looks fine. Another way to write the result is to use the factorial.

d2/dx2 (x2) = 2 = 2!
    d3/dx3 (x3) = 6 = 3!
    d4/dx4 (x4) = 24 = 4!
    d5/dx5 (x5) = 120 = 5!

Your sequence 1, 2, 6, 24, 120, ... is neither an arithmetic sequence, in which each term is some constant plus the previous term, or a geometric sequence, in which each term is some constant times the previous term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook