Using differentials for stuff?

In summary, the conversation is about using differentials to estimate the amount of tin in a closed tin can with given dimensions and thickness. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and clarifying misunderstandings about the concept of differentials. The final conclusion is that the incorrect answer was likely due to the incorrect value of dD, which should have been 0.08 instead of 0.04.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member
EDIT:

I just found this thread, which handily has the same exact problem. The OP says that dh is = 0 though, and I don't quite understand why he does that.

Homework Statement

Use differentials to estimate the amount of tin in a closed tin can with diameter 8 cm and height 12 cm if the tin is 0.04 cm thick. (Round the answer to two decimal places.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't really sure how to start this one, but I took a stab at it.

[itex]V=\pi*r^{2}*h[/itex] where r = D/2. I then found the differential of this.

[itex]dV=\frac{\pi}{4}D^{2}*dh + \frac{\pi}{2}hD*dD[/itex]

I put in 8 for D, 12 for h, and .04 for dH and dD. I got 8.04cm3, but that is apparently wrong, according to the homework.

So I tried using the area instead.

[itex]A=hD\pi + \frac{\pi}{2}D^{2}*dD[/itex]

Differentiating, I get

[itex]dA=\pi*Ddh + \pi(h+D)*dD[/itex]

I put in 8 for D, 12 for h, and .04 for dH and dD. I got 3.52, but this answer is also incorrect.

Under normal circumstances I would calculate the area of the can and multiply by .04, but my gut feeling tells me this is wrong as well. Am I supposed to multiply dA by dV?

I only have one chance left to get it right, so I was hoping to figure it out here first. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it. If the thickness of the tin is 0.04cm is dH really 0.04cm? There are two thicknesses of tin adding to dH. Same thinking about it advice for dD.

If the tin is .04 thicker, then why wouldn't dh be .04? I mean, thicker tin = taller can, right?

Dick said:
There are two thicknesses of tin adding to dH. Same thinking about it advice for dD.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this.

ElijahRockers said:
If the tin is .04 thicker, then why wouldn't dh be .04? I mean, thicker tin = taller can, right?
I'm not really sure what you mean by this.

The can is thicker on the top and thicker on the bottom, right? The total change in h is the sum of the two isn't it? I'm not sure how to be clearer than that. This isn't really a deep concept.

Last edited:
Ok so yes, the can is thicker on top and on bottom. .04 thicker on top, and .04 thicker on bottom. Right?

So dh is .08 then? I'm sorry I'm having a hard time visualizing this problem it seems poorly written to me, or maybe I just don't understand the concept of a differential...

Well anyway I got the question wrong again and that was my last try so blah. :(

Thanks for your help anyway!

ElijahRockers said:
Ok so yes, the can is thicker on top and on bottom. .04 thicker on top, and .04 thicker on bottom. Right?

So dh is .08 then? I'm sorry I'm having a hard time visualizing this problem it seems poorly written to me, or maybe I just don't understand the concept of a differential...

Well anyway I got the question wrong again and that was my last try so blah. :(

Thanks for your help anyway!

The problem was probably that dD is also 0.08 for the same reason.

[itex]V= \pi r^2h[/itex] so [itex]dV= \pi(2rh dr+ r^2dh)[/itex]
dh is .08 while dr= 0.04 (if D is the diameter, dD= 2dr= 0.08 as Dick says).

1. What is the purpose of using differentials?

The purpose of using differentials is to approximate the change in a function or equation. It allows us to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point, which can be useful in various scientific and mathematical applications.

2. How do you calculate differentials?

To calculate differentials, we use the derivative of a function. The differential of a function f(x) is denoted as df(x) and is equal to the derivative of f(x) multiplied by dx. This can be written as df(x) = f'(x)dx.

3. What is the difference between a differential and a derivative?

While both a differential and a derivative involve finding the rate of change of a function, they are different concepts. The differential is the actual change in the function, while the derivative is the rate of change of the function at a specific point.

4. In what fields are differentials commonly used?

Differentials are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They are also used in various mathematical applications, such as optimization and curve fitting.

5. Can differentials be used for nonlinear functions?

Yes, differentials can be used for both linear and nonlinear functions. The process of finding differentials remains the same, regardless of the type of function. However, the calculations may be more complex for nonlinear functions.