1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using frequency to calculate resonances

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    1. If the length of the tube used in our experiment is 4 m, how many resonances would you observe when a tuning fork of frequency 256HZ is used?

2. v=f[tex]\lambda[/tex] ; L = (1/4)(2n+1)[tex]\lambda[/tex]

3. 340m/s = 256Hz[tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1.328125m
    4 = (1/4)(2n+1)(1.328125m)
    12.05 = 2n+1
    5.5 = n

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    We need to know what kind of tube you used in lab (open, one end closed, etc.)

4. Apr 10, 2010 #3
    one end of the tube is open. The other end has water at the end of it.

5. Apr 10, 2010 #4
    Ok and you probably raised the water level while ringing the tuning fork and marked where you heard resonances, right?

So this is a closed end tube. You are correct in using the equation [tex]L = \frac{2n+1}{4}\lambda[/tex]

However, you are not correct in leaving L at 4 because you raised and lowered the water level. What you should do is evaluate the inequality [tex]4 \leq \frac{2n+1}{4}\lambda[/tex]
    and solve for n. Of course you are only allowed integer values of n.

6. Apr 10, 2010 #5
    okay, that makes sense. so if my evaluation of the wavelength is correct, i would substitute it into the inequality and I should get n < 5? so at most there are 5 resonance structures.

7. Apr 10, 2010 #6
    Yep, that is what I get as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook