Using frequency to calculate resonances

• Thread starter jimisreincarn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is discussing the number of resonances that would be observed in an experiment using a 4m long tube and a tuning fork with a frequency of 256Hz. They use the equation v=f\lambda and L = (1/4)(2n+1)\lambda to calculate the wavelength and determine that the tube is a closed end tube. They also mention the need to evaluate the inequality 4 \leq \frac{2n+1}{4}\lambda and solve for n to determine the maximum number of resonance structures, which is determined to be 5.
jimisreincarn
1. If the length of the tube used in our experiment is 4 m, how many resonances would you observe when a tuning fork of frequency 256HZ is used?

2. v=f[tex]\lambda[/tex] ; L = (1/4)(2n+1)[tex]\lambda[/tex]

3. 340m/s = 256Hz[tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1.328125m
4 = (1/4)(2n+1)(1.328125m)
12.05 = 2n+1
5.5 = n

Physics news on Phys.org
We need to know what kind of tube you used in lab (open, one end closed, etc.)

one end of the tube is open. The other end has water at the end of it.

jimisreincarn said:
one end of the tube is open. The other end has water at the end of it.

Ok and you probably raised the water level while ringing the tuning fork and marked where you heard resonances, right?

So this is a closed end tube. You are correct in using the equation [tex]L = \frac{2n+1}{4}\lambda[/tex]

However, you are not correct in leaving L at 4 because you raised and lowered the water level. What you should do is evaluate the inequality [tex]4 \leq \frac{2n+1}{4}\lambda[/tex]
and solve for n. Of course you are only allowed integer values of n.

okay, that makes sense. so if my evaluation of the wavelength is correct, i would substitute it into the inequality and I should get n < 5? so at most there are 5 resonance structures.

jimisreincarn said:
okay, that makes sense. so if my evaluation of the wavelength is correct, i would substitute it into the inequality and I should get n < 5? so at most there are 5 resonance structures.

Yep, that is what I get as well.

1. What is resonance and how is it related to frequency?

Resonance is a phenomenon in which an object or system vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to a periodic force. This natural frequency is determined by the object's physical properties and is directly related to the frequency of the applied force. The closer the frequency of the applied force is to the object's natural frequency, the stronger the resonance will be.

2. How is frequency used to calculate resonances?

Frequency is used to calculate resonances by determining the natural frequency of the object or system and matching it with the frequency of the applied force. This can be done mathematically using equations such as the resonance formula: f = n * (v/2L), where f is the natural frequency, n is an integer representing the harmonic, v is the speed of the wave, and L is the length of the object.

3. Why is it important to understand resonances in scientific research?

Understanding resonances is important in scientific research because it can help explain and predict the behavior of objects and systems in response to external forces. Resonance can also be utilized to enhance the performance of certain devices, such as in the design of musical instruments or electronic circuits.

4. What are some real-life examples of resonances?

Some common examples of resonances in everyday life include the sound produced by a tuning fork, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the oscillations of a swing. Other examples can be found in engineering, such as the resonance of a bridge due to wind or the resonance of a building during an earthquake.

5. How can resonances be controlled or prevented?

Resonances can be controlled or prevented by adjusting the frequency of the applied force to avoid matching the natural frequency of the object or system. This can be achieved by changing the physical properties of the object, using damping materials, or altering the frequency of the external force. In some cases, resonances can also be beneficial and intentionally utilized, such as in the design of musical instruments.