1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Hund's rules to calculate ground state of erbium

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate ground state of erbium [Xe] 4f^12 6s^2

3. The attempt at a solution

so i know that the f orbital can hold 14 electrons and has 7 types of orbitals that is -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3

So i constructed a table with axes of m_l (-3 to +3 above) and m_s. Then hunds rules say i first maximise spin and then orbital angular momentum. So i placed electrons in order to maximise spin and im left with the ml=-3,-2 boxes with only one electron and all the other boxes are filled with 2. But im not getting the same answer as the question gives. I must be doing this wrong, any help please. Im getting L = 5 and S = 1 but the answers are L=9 and S=3??? Many thanks

Roberto

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2
    I'm also stuck on the next part of this question which asks what happens to the ground state of erbium in a magnetic field. It says i require the lande g factor:

g = [3J(J+1) + S(S+1) + L(L+1)]/2J(J+1)

Using the answers of s=3, l=9 AND j=12 i get g equal to 1.25.

But the answers give the change in energy as -0.75 M_j mu_B B which i know is the equation where in place of the -0.75 is the landau g factor, but this doesn't agree with my calculated value. Have i missed something or is this a typo? The answer also says that the degenerate groundstate will split into 25 states, how is this so and how would i be expected to know this? Many thanks again

Roberto

p.s i think ive found the equation which i need which is: Change in energy = mu_B (M_L + g_s x M_S) B

how do i know the values of M_L and M_S? Also i read that this equation applies in the strong field limit but i dont understand how the question implies this instead of the wak limit, should i always assume the strong limit in questions unless stated? Apologies for so many questions but i really want to know how to do these types of questions. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook