1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic

1. Oct 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question states Use integral calculus to find the euation of the quartic that has (1,23) and (3, 15) and a y-intercept of 24.

2. Relevant equations
    The previous part of the question was A quartic has stationary points of inflection at x=1 and x=3. Explain why f"(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) where k doesn't =0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part A:

A quartic has a non-stationary points of inflection at x=1 and x=3. Explain why f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) k≠0

A quartics points of inflection can be found by equating its second derivative to zero.

as f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) if f”(x)=0

0=k(x-1)(x-3)

if k≠0

0=(x-1)(x-3)

and hence x=1 and x=3

Part B:

Use integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic that has (1,23) and (3,15) and a y-intercept of 24.

f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2016 #2
    Hi Jaimee, have you tried integrating the second derivative? Or are you unsure how to do the integration?

4. Oct 11, 2016 #3
    Currently i have this
    f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

∫f”(x)=∫k(x-1)(x-3)

f’(x)=k∫(x−3)(x−1)dx

f’(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)+C

but f(x)=24 x=0

f’(0)=0

0=((k(0−3)^2 (0))/3)+C

0=0+C

C=0
    therefore f'(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)

5. Oct 11, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved -- if the title includes "calculus" the thread doesn't belong in the Precalculus section.

6. Oct 12, 2016 #5
    I'm not sure I follow the third line: f’(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)+C
    Maybe try expanding (x-3)(x-1) before integrating. Also you want a quartic (order 4) so does that mean your answer can be found with the first derivative? Or do you need to do an extra step?

EDIT: I mean the 4th line not the third. In future its good practice to number your equations, it will help people help you! :).

7. Oct 12, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As already noted, the line above is wrong. I can't tell what you did. You should expand (x - 3)(x - 1) before atempting to integrate.
    From the given information about the y-intercept, f(0) = 24, not f(x) = 24.

Starting with f''(x), you need to integrate twice to get f(x). At each integration there will be a constant of integration.
    When you get to a formula for f(x), there should be two constants of integration. Use the fact that f(1) = 23, f(3) = 15, and f(0) = 24 to determine those constants of integration and the constant k.

Your function should be a fourth-degree polynomial with all coefficients determined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted