• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Using integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic

1. Homework Statement
The question states Use integral calculus to find the euation of the quartic that has (1,23) and (3, 15) and a y-intercept of 24.

2. Homework Equations
The previous part of the question was A quartic has stationary points of inflection at x=1 and x=3. Explain why f"(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) where k doesn't =0

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Part A:

A quartic has a non-stationary points of inflection at x=1 and x=3. Explain why f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) k≠0

A quartics points of inflection can be found by equating its second derivative to zero.

as f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) if f”(x)=0

0=k(x-1)(x-3)

if k≠0

0=(x-1)(x-3)

and hence x=1 and x=3

Part B:

Use integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic that has (1,23) and (3,15) and a y-intercept of 24.

f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

Hi Jaimee, have you tried integrating the second derivative? Or are you unsure how to do the integration?

Currently i have this
f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

∫f”(x)=∫k(x-1)(x-3)

f’(x)=k∫(x−3)(x−1)dx

f’(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)+C

but f(x)=24 x=0

f’(0)=0

0=((k(0−3)^2 (0))/3)+C

0=0+C

C=0
therefore f'(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)

Thread moved -- if the title includes "calculus" the thread doesn't belong in the Precalculus section.

Currently i have this
f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

∫f”(x)=∫k(x-1)(x-3)

f’(x)=k∫(x−3)(x−1)dx

but f(x)=24 x=0

f’(0)=0

0=((k(0−3)^2 (0))/3)+C

0=0+C

C=0
therefore f'(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)
I'm not sure I follow the third line: f’(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)+C
Maybe try expanding (x-3)(x-1) before integrating. Also you want a quartic (order 4) so does that mean your answer can be found with the first derivative? Or do you need to do an extra step?

EDIT: I mean the 4th line not the third. In future its good practice to number your equations, it will help people help you! :).

Currently i have this
f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

∫f”(x)=∫k(x-1)(x-3)

f’(x)=k∫(x−3)(x−1)dx

As already noted, the line above is wrong. I can't tell what you did. You should expand (x - 3)(x - 1) before atempting to integrate.
Jaimee said:
but f(x)=24 x=0
From the given information about the y-intercept, f(0) = 24, not f(x) = 24.

Starting with f''(x), you need to integrate twice to get f(x). At each integration there will be a constant of integration.
Use integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic that has (1,23) and (3,15) and a y-intercept of 24.
When you get to a formula for f(x), there should be two constants of integration. Use the fact that f(1) = 23, f(3) = 15, and f(0) = 24 to determine those constants of integration and the constant k.

Your function should be a fourth-degree polynomial with all coefficients determined.