1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using known Maclaurin series to approximate modification of original

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Recall that the Maclaurin series for sin(x) is [itex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+1}}{(2k + 1)!}[/itex].

Use this formula to find the Maclaurin polynomial P5(x) for f(x)=xsin(x/2).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that to approximate sin(x/2) with the Maclaurin polynomial for sinx, I just substitute x/2 for x. But for xsinx, since the Maclaurin series is approximating sinx, can I just substitute the series for sinx so that I get [itex]x\sum\frac{(-1)^{k}x^{2k+1}}{(2k + 1)!}[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2
    Re: Using known Maclaurin series to approximate modification of origin

yes you can :smile:

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. You can make that better if you now sweep the x inside the sum. You may also want to include the summation bounds as you can sometimes simplify further by shifting them.

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

Sorry, didn't see that I forgot the bounds. It's supposed to be from n=0 to infinity. Thanks for the help guys :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook