Find the expression for the sum of this power series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 4K views
Kqwert
Messages
160
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Hello,

I need to find an expression for the sum of the given power series
gif.gif


The Attempt at a Solution


I think that one has to use a known Maclaurin series, for example the series of e^x. I know that I can rewrite

gif.gif
, which makes the expression even more similar to the Maclaurin series for e^x. Any help?
 
Attachments
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    754 bytes · Views: 718
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    534 bytes · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
Kqwert said:
I think that one has to use a known Maclaurin series, for example the series of e^x.
This is a good idea. You may want to use the fact that ##n = (n-1) + 1## rather than going for getting ##n!## in the denominator though.
 
Orodruin said:
This is a good idea. You may want to use the fact that ##n = (n-1) + 1## rather than going for getting ##n!## in the denominator though.
How does that help me?
 
Kqwert said:
How does that help me?
Did you try doing it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
Orodruin said:
Did you try doing it?
Yes, but not sure what it helps me? Should I replace all n's in the expression by n = (n-1)+1?
 
No, just in the numerator to split your sum into two.

It also helps if you state what you get when you do so - otherwise I have to guess what stage you are at.
 
So I get this expression?

gif.gif
 
Attachments
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1 KB · Views: 423
I assume you mean ##x^n##. So split it into two sums and treat each sum separately. You may want to simplify the second term change the summation variable in both sums.
 
Orodruin said:
I assume you mean ##x^n##. So split it into two sums and treat each sum separately. You may want to simplify the second term change the summation variable in both sums.
Yeah, I mean x^n! What do you mean by change the summation variable. Is it like write k = n-1?
 
Kqwert said:
Is it like write k = n-1?
Yes, that could be a reasonable substitution for one of the terms.
 
Orodruin said:
Yes, that could be a reasonable substitution for one of the terms.
What about the last term though? Not sure what the best simplification of that is.
 
Kqwert said:
What about the last term though? Not sure what the best simplification of that is.
What is ##(n-1)/(n-1)!##?
 
Orodruin said:
What is ##(n-1)/(n-1)!##?
You can split that expression into two as well..?
 
(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4) etc.. I guess you can write 1/(n-2)!, but doubt that is it?
 
Kqwert said:
(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4) etc.. I guess you can write 1/(n-2)!, but doubt that is it?
Why do you doubt that?
 
Orodruin said:
Why do you doubt that?
Hm, I guess I can substitute k = n-2, which makes it into the exponential Maclaurin Series?
 
Kqwert said:
Hm, I guess I can substitute k = n-2, which makes it into the exponential Maclaurin Series?
Does it? What exactly do you obtain?
 
So i am getting a little lost here.
gif.gif

This is where we are right?
By substituting k = n-1 into the first expression we get a very similar expression to the e^x series,
gif.gif


in the second expression we can do q = n - 2 and get..

gif.gif


is this the way?
 
Attachments
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 395
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    561 bytes · Views: 383
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    497 bytes · Views: 391
You are making good progress. So what is the difference between the two series that you have obtained and the expansion of ##e^x##?
 
Just x and x^2, respectively, which are not dependent on n. However, what happens when I do the variable changes and calculate the sums? For k = n-1 we get k = 0 as the lower sum and k = inf. as the upper sum, while we get q = -1 as the lower and q = inf as the upper for the second expression?
 
Kqwert said:
Just x and x^2, respectively, which are not dependent on n. However, what happens when I do the variable changes and calculate the sums? For k = n-1 we get k = 0 as the lower sum and k = inf. as the upper sum, while we get q = -1 as the lower and q = inf as the upper for the second expression?
Yes, this is indeed the next thing you must check. For the k sum, you are already fine since the exponential series expansion is a sum from zero. For the q sum, what is ##(n-1)/(n-1)!## when ##n = 1##? Does that term contribute?
 
Orodruin said:
Yes, this is indeed the next thing you must check. For the k sum, you are already fine since the exponential series expansion is a sum from zero. For the q sum, what is ##(n-1)/(n-1)!## when ##n = 1##? Does that term contribute?
It´s just zero. But, the way I have done it. I´m left with

gif.gif


WolframAlpha gave me x^2*e^x, but why..? I know that we must get q = 0, which results in x^2*e^x, but doesn't the q = -1 term contribute?
 
Attachments
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    785 bytes · Views: 376
You have to treat that term separately. Before cancelling (n-1)/(n-1)! to 1/(n-2)!, note that the n = 1 term reads 0/0!
 
Orodruin said:
You have to treat that term separately. Before cancelling (n-1)/(n-1)! to 1/(n-2)!, note that the n = 1 term reads 0/0!
But why does that matter when the expression has been re-written? isn't is possible to solve it from the re-written series?
 
Orodruin said:
Because the rewriting is not correct for ##n = 1##.
Not sure If I understand what you mean?
 
For ##n = 1##, the term reads ##0/0!## but with the "cancellation" you did, it would be ##-1/(-1)!##, which you would need to interpret in terms of the Gamma function ##\Gamma(x)## in the limit ##x \to 0##, where ##\Gamma(x) \to \infty##. It is much easier to just remove that term from the beginning since 0! = 1 and therefore 0/0! = 0/1 = 0.
 
Orodruin said:
For ##n = 1##, the term reads ##0/0!## but with the "cancellation" you did, it would be ##-1/(-1)!##, which you would need to interpret in terms of the Gamma function ##\Gamma(x)## in the limit ##x \to 0##, where ##\Gamma(x) \to \infty##. It is much easier to just remove that term from the beginning since 0! = 1 and therefore 0/0! = 0/1 = 0.
Ok thanks, but how does that relate to the "q-series" I´ve found which starts at q = -1? Wrong way of doing it?
 
Kqwert said:
Ok thanks, but how does that relate to the "q-series" I´ve found which starts at q = -1? Wrong way of doing it?
You only found that particular series by making the cancellation. Alternatively you can do the replacement before cancellation, you will then get ##(q+1)/(q+1)!## and you can note that the ##q = -1## term is zero because ##q+1 = 0## so you can remove it. After that the cancellation is fine for all terms.